"mia noi" ???????????

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I had a somewhat similar arrangement for a while as Mr Oldtimer, be it with only a 25 yr age difference. But she simultaneously ran another similar arrangement with another falang. In the end she wanted marriage, I didn't build the house as planned, and she ended up marrying the other falang.

And no, my mia leuang didn't like the idea when she found out.

She did the same hairdressing course.

>>>And no, my mia leuang didn't like the idea when she found out.<<<

that cannot be possible, i have always heard that it is part of thai culture that men can have mia noi. thailand is buddhistic, you know? :p

...well, if my missus would find out me ever having such an arrangement i would be in serious trouble, and she would then pack her stuff and go, and not come back.

The idea that a mia noi be faithful to her 'keeper' is indeed part of the tradition. Given human nature, particularly where women are concerned with long term commitment to insure their children's welfare, the probability is high that many cheat on their providers.

My opinion is that they are more likely to cheat if it is a farang who is feathering their nest. Mostly because of their expectation that you will probably be cheating on them anyway. So IMHO any farang that keeps a mia noi may not be getting quite the same treatment as a Thai man in the same position.

Incidentally, the term poo-uh noi is not really a Thai phrase, rather a farang translation of a situation that rarely arises. I have used the term with my wife before and she corrected me saying Thais don't use this. She did however, understand it immediately. As have several other people I have used it on. Many thought it was quite comical - it rarely fails to elicit a laugh.

Also interesting was a conversation I had with my (Thai) boss on the subject. He's probably about 38 or so and he said the mia noi relationships were not as accepted among the younger generations as it has been in the past. Perhaps he will change his mind as his hair gets grayer.

>>>Incidentally, the term poo-uh noi is not really a Thai phrase, rather a farang translation of a situation that rarely arises. I have used the term with my wife before and she corrected me saying Thais don't use this.<<<

ahem...

hmmm...

but that situation does not arise that rarely, and i just reconfirmed with the missus and her uncle about the usage of the term "poah noi" in thai, and they both said that it is well used and understood.

i just reconfirmed with the missus and her uncle about the usage of the term "poah noi" in thai, and they both said that it is well used and understood

Really? Not what my missus said. But you may be right given that practically everyone I've used it with has understood it - as I noted above. Maybe my wife was just being a prude.

the term "phua noi" might be well understood as everybody can easily associate it with the well known concept for "mia noi". however i guess that the concept "phua noi" is rather new, for many Thais not thinkable and for majority not acceptable in this Macho society!

Archived