the liverpool saga continues...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news.php3?clid=2&theme=A&usrsess=1&id=114638

LIVERPOOL STAKE: PM’s mentor raps Reds bid

Published on Jun 1, 2004

Thaksin ready to give up, sees success in having 'humbled' ex-colonial power

Someone to whom Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may not dare respond angrily has come out to harshly criticise the Liverpool purchase plan.

Coincidentally, as Chamlong Srimuang fired away at what he suggested was his former protege's immorality and hypocrisy, inner-government circles were buzzing with rumours that Thaksin was now on the verge of giving up on the Liverpool scheme, which seems to be backfiring badly.

The controversial bid to buy a 30-per-cent stake in Liverpool Football Club now looks even more uncertain after government insiders quoted Thaksin as telling close aides that even if the deal falls through, he was satisfied with his "marketing success".

One source quoted him as saying, "Thailand has become a major international household name for weeks without having to spend advertising money. And the fact that Thais can now bid to buy a club as big and famous as Liverpool is a success in itself, as this can make a former major colonial power lose face."

Chamlong, who brought Thaksin into politics and then let him take over his now defunct Palang Dharma Party, echoed criticism by a growing army of opponents of the Liverpool deal that the idea to launch a special |one-off lottery to fund the scheme bordered on public deception and corruption.

In an open letter to Thaksin, Chamlong said the lottery plan would further "blind" gambling-crazed Thais.

He said that if the government managed to buy a 30-per-cent stake in Liverpool, more people would be drawn to football, which is closely associated with underground betting in the Kingdom.

"The lotto is open, official support for gambling," Chamlong said in his letter. "And [if the Liverpool purchase is successful] the number of soccer maniacs in this country will multiply.

"Gambling will further flourish and there will virtually be no boundaries. Nothing will stop Thais' indulgence for gambling and fewer and fewer people will value hard work, because betting is easier and more enjoyable."

Chamlong's controversial spiritual ally - the leader of the unorthodox Santi Asoke sect - also joined him in lambasting Thaksin.

In a separate letter, Bhodhirak of the Santi Asoke Buddhist Centre reminded the prime minister that during his recent provincial tour he had promised to reward any gambling-free village.

"But the prime minister is giving the worst possible kind of support to gambling," Bhodhirak said.

Chamlong's open letter was published in the June edition of his monthly "What We Think" booklet, which also contained Bhodhirak's letter.

"Both monks and lay people are all against it. If the prime minister doesn't listen, I don't know what else to do," Chamlong wrote.

Thaksin has taunted academics and political activists who are waging a signature campaign against the lottery plan, which critics say is unconstitutional, illegal and immoral. "I know more about the laws than them," he said.

But privately the prime minister is known to have grown increasingly weary of public opposition to the deal both here and in England, where Liverpool fans are questioning his human-rights record and real intention toward their beloved club.

Last week, he reportedly instructed his chief adviser Pansak Winyaratn to review the pros and cons of the entire plan and "propose a way out" if the share purchase did more harm than good.

Academics yesterday continued their campaign against the planned use of public money to buy a Liverpool stake.

At a seminar organised by Thammasat University, participants attacked Thaksin's "confusion about his own role" and "misunderstanding" that owning a Liverpool stake would improve Thailand's image.

"He's going astray," said marketing lecturer Pipop Udorn. "He will downgrade the Thai brand, which he initially vowed to promote.

"And for all the claims about our nation becoming popular, I just think the world is looking at us as a low-income but high-taste people."

Meanwhile, the permanent secretary for Finance, Somchainuk Engtrakul, said yesterday that the Ministry of Tourism and Sports would take care of establishing a public company to raise funds for the share purchase, and not the Sports Authority of Thailand as had been reported earlier.

Speaking in his capacity as chairman of the Government Lottery Office's executive board, Somchainuk said he expected the plan for a special lottery for fund raising to go ahead despite opposition.

Samatcha Hunsara, Sucheera Pinijparakarn

THE NATION

With all the dilema about board representation, merchandising etc happening with Liverpool, I'm sure he would not get any such problems with investing his baht with Leeds.

Such a big club, but some many problems???????????

At least there is a former leeds player staring at Liverpool.

An out and out Champion - " KEWELL "

Leeds 4 eva

Arkutha

"With all the dilema about board representation, merchandising etc happening with Liverpool, I'm sure he would not get any such problems with investing his baht with Leeds."

...................................................................................

The mess Leeds have been in the latest years has scared off a lot of potential investors. The last one was a group made up from local businessmen who backed out after studying the accounts closely.

It certainly is no club to buy into for any PR reasons, the Bowyer/Woodgate affair alone made sure of that. Though it had nothing to do with the club and those guys have moved on.

And Thai glory hunters are not potential Leeds fans for a long time (1 div the coming season), so no gain for Thaksin..

Finally, it is not HIS baht.

Cheers!

El Tel

Sounds funny coming from " El Tel " who contributed in the demise of Leeds.

However I have to support my team through the good and the bad.

Not like these so called supporters who quickly jump off and start supporting teams that are on top.

Any way cheers for now

Arkutha

PM dumps lottery plan, Liverpool bid looks unlikely

Published on Jun 4, 2004

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced yesterday that a plan to use state lottery funds to buy a stake in the Liverpool soccer club had been scrapped and strongly indicated that the entire deal might be abandoned amid mounting opposition.

Thaksin suggested that he changed his mind about the lotto plan following criticism from his political mentor, Chamlong Srimuang, who wrote an open letter charging the government with blatantly supporting gambling by devising the lottery.

"When the criticism comes from him, I accept it," Thaksin said.

Although he admitted that the lotto plan was facing a lot of opposition, he said he would not listen to those opposing him just for the sake of doing it.

"Maj-General Chamlong is a man I highly respect and he definitely makes the criticism for the country's sake," Thaksin said. "For regular moaners, they will never get my attention."

Observers familiar with Thaksin's administrative and public-relation style believe that scrapping the lotto scheme will be followed by him abandoning the Liverpool bid.

The prime minister added to the speculation by saying the proposed deal might never materialise.

Reacting to the escalating signature campaign against the lotto plan, he said: "Calm down. We don't even know whether we will buy the Liverpool stake."

The government had said the Thai side and Liverpool Football Club had agreed in principle to have Thai investors buy a 30-per-cent stake in the club and that a due diligence probe - scrutinising the club's finances - had begun.

If the check on Liverpool's financial standing found something considerably different from what Thailand had learned about the club, the bid could be cancelled, Thaksin said yesterday.

"If we find anything overly positive or negative, it can affect the perceived values of the club and thus the price we want to pay. In such circumstances, normally there will be no deal," the PM said.

Asked by reporters if that meant he would pull out the bid if the club's financial situation was found to be unsatisfactory, he said: "Yes. [We could cancel the bid] because no written document whatsoever has been signed. It has all been verbal contacts. Our stand is clear: If it's good for us, we will buy. If not, we won't."

Government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair said that if the Liverpool bid went ahead it would be a private investment.

Political and student activists and academics involved in the signature campaign against the lottery plan vowed, meanwhile, to keep up the pressure.

They said they wanted to make sure that whatever action the government takes next does not break the law or violate the constitution.

"The government changes the details of the plan everyday," said Sangsit Piriyarangsan, vice president of the National Economic and Social Advisory Council.

"We want a clear-cut demonstration of sincerity to prove that the prime minister, no matter what his next move is, will respect the law and avoid conflicts of interests."

The Nation

BBC News

Everton deny Thaksin link

Everton have played down speculation that they are in talks with Thailand Prime Minster Thaksin Shinawatra about selling a stake in the club.

Thaksin has made a £65m offer for 30% of Liverpool but that deal is in doubt after plans for a lottery were shelved.

Everton director Paul Gregg is in Thailand to discuss a shirt sponsorship with Thai brewers Chang Beer.

But Thaksin could not buy into both clubs as a person can only hold shares of under 10% in two Premiership clubs.

"Paul has not been speaking to the Thai government," said an Everton spokesman.

Newly-appointed Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has revealed he will not stand in the way of any potential investors.

"I've said very loudly for four years that I have been looking for investment for this club," Kenwright told the club's website.

"I don't think the club is ever for sale but if someone wanted to come in with a cash injection I would be overjoyed."

Archived