"To show money" for visa holiday visa to uk

I plan to bring my Thai girlfriend to the UK for a 2 week holiday next July , we were talking about "to show money" for the visa , money to support her in the uk , her friends says she will need 70000 Baht , I am very sceptical about amount , Any advise about this and how do you go about proving you can support her in the uk etc , as this is the route I would rather take ???

Unless your girlfriend is of good standing and has ,in the opinion of the Embassy, "Reason to Return to Thailand" ie good job, assetts and stuff, then you have no chance of getting a visitors visa.

Two words will definitely mess that up, they are visitor and girlfriend.

Getting her in on a fiancee visa (even if u dont marry) is much easier, but costs £250 and can take a few months.

Her having cash suddenly shoved into her account will make no difference, they will spot that one a mile off from the bank statement alone.

If she is a Uni student, or a professional career girl then it is possible.

If you say she is your girlfriend they will then imply that she may have reason not to want to return to Thailand. Going to the UK on a visitors and getting married once over is a big no no.

Under EU law there is bugger all they can do to stop u getting her in on a 6month fiancee, so long as you meet all the criteria and she leaves before 6 months are up if you dont marry.

Fiancee visa is multiple entry also so if u are that desperate to get her over, that is where to start. You can try the visitor way but be prepared for them to reccomend you down the settlement road. If u do manage to swing a visitors then let me know cos that means things have changed dramatically.

DO NOT PUT 70,000 Baht in her bank account, that is bullshit.

If you want more info let me know, mail me through the board I can never remember where I post crazy.gif" border="0

Foreign office will quote you the official policy you ican rad that yourself on the web, it is what the British Embassy do at their own discretion the FO cannot comment on. Let me save you the bother, I have just done all of this over the past 6 months so know what I am talking about.

My girl is now here, working, UK Driving Licence, NI number, Indefinite leave to stay for another year, then after that she can stay permanently, after 2 1/2 yrs I will get her British Citizenship and passport.

If you are going to phone anyone speak to Sarah Adams in the British Embassy in BKK.

Download the forms and guidance notes from the IND web site and read them carefully.

If you are well prepared, meet the requirements, and she can get through an interview and can look and act the part to a sensible level, and you can prove to them your relationship is genuine with a couple of photos, letters, phone bills etc etc, and you are employed or have funds and a place to live in the UK, then you are sorted on the fiancee visa.

UK Embassy BKK

http://www.fco.gov.uk/directory/posts.asp?TH

IND http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Dont bother with IAS (Immigration Advisory Service) they are muppets and I know more than they do, believe me staying on hold for 2 hours just aint worth it. I just told you everything they ever could. Dont get sucked in by agencies promising to get you a visa, they add no value to the process, and all the info you need is in the guidance notes and forms. Give em what they want and you are then set.

Also for more specific UK Thai stuff

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thailand_UK

Search and browse the messages and info on that group once you join and all your answers are there

Almost forgot, as an answer to your initial question, you need to show you having 6 months of bank statements, 6 months proof of job/income or funds, proof that you have a place to live (they do not like it if you live with parents, but you can argue that one down), for visitor visa she needs to proof she will return so property,cars, job, etc is what she needs. If you go settlement then they could not give a toss really how much money she has, they care more about what you have so you dont claim benefits. If it is next July you are too early, Visa must be used within 6 months of issue, if you go for it now, make sure the interview date you get ties in with your plans, if she gets through then you get the visa the same day, airline tickets are not required to be bought before the visa is issued. You do not need to be present in Thailand at the interview, you cannot go in anyways. If you are smart you can apply now, book the interview for Feb/Mar or something, then that gives you lots of time to get the stuff you need in order if you dont have it, as the proof they require can be brought in with her at time of interview not when she hands the form in. Start sending her cards and letters and email if you dont already, and she needs to keep the envelopes for the postmarks. Then you can just keep mailing her stuff and bits all the copies of your documents that she can hang onto or print out until interview. My g/f had a frigging sack full ;-). I filed it and labelled it all then mailed it as a parcel so she did not have to work out what was what, also looked professional.

They need a certified copy of the main pages your passport and showing all the stamps in and out of Thailand so your story matches up in terms of how you met and how long you stayed together. If you send her money that is good as it shows you take care of her, copies of transaction slips help. Get your story straight, dates, how you met, your job, family, where you live, they will ask her, but the good news is they cannot ask you so if she knows what she has to say and it does not look like she is lying through her teeth or gets caught out, you are practically home free along with letter from your company or similar, mortgage papers, or rental agreement, photos of where you live and a brief letter of sponsorship and invitation. Do not waffle in the letter or give them any rope to hang your g/f with, keep it simple do not even mention anything that they could catch her out with. Just make it a formal invite, claim you agree to sponsor her and be responsible and refer to her as your fiancee (if u do this) and by her full name not nickname. Make it look official or get a solicitor to draft. Get the local Commissioner of Oaths to Wax Seal your declaration if you want, I did that and had a legal type invite that looked official and quoted EU law. Give em a sob story and that weakens you. Oh yeah at interview she needs to dress nicely, and take off any heavy makeup and flashy jewellery.

They dont care too much about job references for settlement visa, they never checked up on my g/f, but for visitors they probably will. Getting her a reference for restaurant,hotel or bar jobs will not help, for a visitors visa it needs to be a good job like Lawyer, Office Worker etc

I assume you have a couple of pics of yourselves too as you will need her to show those.

If she is a "waster" and you are'nt too bothered whether she comes or not, dont bother with all this, it can get expensive and very time consuming, and drags on and on.

If you think she is someone who will bugger it up and is unreliable when it comes to doing stuff like this, then save yourself the headache or go over and help her arrange it all. If you are 80 and she is 18 that will not really be too helpful either.

(shit this must be my longest post ever and is a bit of a mess but u get the drift)

Your profile says you are in NI, ROI may be an easier option as they have different rules and I hear may be easier to get her over there. I am sure you know more about getting people into the North from the South than I do without them having their passports checked for visas & stuff

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: Swishtz ]

Archived