More Q's for Japan Members... Tokyo?

MooNoi

Hi Japan Residents (Again!)

Pretty sure I will be hitting Japan in October.

I am in the throes of planning my trip and have allowed 4 full days in Tokyo.

I know its a huge city, but in your opinions, what are the top (NON-SANUK) things to do in Tokyo?

I am reading various guide books, and have so far come up with the following (rough) plan:

DAY 1: SHINJUKU / IKEBUKURO

DAY 2: UENO / ASAKUSA

DAY 3: CENTRAL TOKYO AND ROPPONGI

DAY 4: DAY TRIP... MAYBE NARA?

Would this be a realistic plan? I would just like to wander around these districts and see where I end up. For example, Ueon Park looks interesting with lots of galleries and museums etc, but is there anything in Tokyo that I SHOULD NOT MISS?

I'll use the subway to get around.

The above plan is for daytime activities... as for night time, I might just find a bars and have some bevvies with the locals! (That but I CAN do by myself! :))

I found this website, which I've found very good:

Japan Guide

Oh.. I nearly forgot! I am going to get a JR pass, but don't want to use it to get to Tokyo from the airport in Narita - otherwise I waste 4 days of it whilst in Tokyo. What's the cheapest way to get to downtown Tokyo from Narita? Bus or train? And how much?

Finally, is it feasable to stay in Yokohama instead of Tokyo and commute into Tokyo each day to sightsee? Judging from what I've found on the net and in guide books, I can get decent business hotels in Yokohama for 5000Y, and the same thing costs 10000Y in Tokyo. A ticket on the train from Yokohama to Tokyo is 290Y each way, so this would save about 4500Y each day. Only about 40 minutes between the two, right?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions / help.

Fly P.

>What's the cheapest way to get to downtown Tokyo from Narita? Bus or train? And how much?

Narita Express. Been on it many times but can't remember exact price. 30US$ or less one way? Takes 80 minutes.

There is also a "Friendly Limousine" service - carried out by a coach bus. Never been on it, but it goes around the hotels and the price should be similar to NRT Express.

Forget about taxis. Could cost you 300US$ and 3-4 hours to get to/from NRT.

Other than that, I have't been much around myself.

One day Presidential Palace, Yoyogi park, Meiji Jingu, Shibuya.

Out of 4 days, you might want to make one day bus trip to Mt Fuji (from the Keio bus terminal, Shinjuku).

Kabukicho/Shinjuku - other than high wieving point from the Metroplitan Government building, can't see what would make a full day there. It's a business district and Kabukicho is a shopping and a night area supposedly lighter than Roppongi but fully functional.

Other may add more.

Fly,

I usually use the Limousine Bus service from Narita. They've a good English Language website here

Staying in Yokohama is definately possible but remember the trains stop running quite early so it might cramp your style a bit.

I've only just moved here so not an expert but would second the recommendation to try and visit Mount Fuji. If you're into Electronic gadgets, then a couple of hours in Akihabara is fun.

Fly, your plan sounds all right.

DAY 1: SHINJUKU / IKEBUKURO

DAY 2: UENO / ASAKUSA

DAY 3: CENTRAL TOKYO AND ROPPONGI

DAY 4: DAY TRIP... MAYBE NARA?

I wouldn?t stay in Yokohama. Great place to visit, or even live if you?re working there, but having to worry about crowded last trains when you?re out partying is a right pain in the ass. Do a search here. Kamui recommended something for about 4000 yen a night in central Tokyo.

Hard to say what?s the must-see sights as we all have different tastes.

Any particular reason you want to go to Ikebukuro? It?s a shithole. Shinjuku?s great but best at night. If you?re into museums, Ueno?s the place but otherwise I could think of better ways to spend one of only four days.

This website offers loads of practical info.

http://www.tokyoessentials.com

I suggest an itinerary like this (days are interchangeable):

Shibuya/ Shinjuku/ Meiji Shrine: You can walk from Shibuya to Shinjuku via Meiji Shrine and Yoyogi Park if you?re keen. That would also leave you in Shinjuku for the night. Be sure to check out ?Piss Alley? (Shomben Yokocho), which runs along the tracks on the West side. It?s an old street of yakitori bars and ?restaurants? that?s always fun. If I?m free, I?ll show you around here. Anyway it?s covered here. http://www.tokyoessentials.com/shinjuku.html

Asakusa/ Akihabara/ Ginza/ Roppongi (You could include Ueno): After touring historical Asakusa in the morning, jump a ferry down toward Hamamatsu-cho. You can get off half way there, or do a lap and get off on the return, and make your way to Akihabara for all sorts of electronic goods. A shop called Laox caters to foreign tourists from all corners of the globe if you need an iPOD, or some other latest gadget. From there head to Ginza and try to get there around 6 pm and just walk the streets. It?s a tit parade, a flange fest!! The historical Sapporo beer hall is worth a pint, but beware of rival imitations nearby. From there you?re not too far from Roppongi.

Day trip to Nikko: If you only had time to visit one historical area in Japan, this is it. Comfortable day trip from Ueno by train (can?t remember if it?s covered by your rail pass) or you could catch a bus. The sights are about a 2 km walk from the station. Party in Shibuya at night.

Imperial Palace/ Trip to Yokohama: After checking out the palace, walk to Tokyo station and jump a train to Yokohama. Lively atmosphere down there with plenty of bars, restaurants and short skirts!

I don?t recommend a trip to Fuji san. The climbing season is closed in October and you can?t really appreciate it up close. It?s best viewed from afar. You?ll pass it on the way to Osaka.

As for the train from Narita, I always ride the Narita Express or ride the 'airport limousine' bus. The NEX is actually the most expensive form of public transport. The limo bus to most major stations and 4-5 star hotels is marginally cheaper but avoid riding it during morning peak hour. The Keisei Skyliner train from Narita to Ueno costs 1920 yen. Or you can get a local train if you three hours to spare.

Time?s up.

Later

Thanks everyone for your replies! A lot of info there!

Roppongi, I will do a search on the accom. Kamui recommended. 4000Y a night is a bargain in Tokyo! (I'm over the youth hostel/dorm thing... been there, done that!)

If I can get accom. for 4000Y in Tokyo, I'll definitely do that. Found a website for a chain of hotels in Japan called "TOYOKO INN" which seems to provide good, simple accom across the country for about 5000Y per night.

Definitely owe you a beer when I'm there! (Or two! As long as its a cheap bar!!!) Thanks again! Really appreciate it!

Fly P.

>I don?t recommend a trip to Fuji san. The climbing season is closed in October and you can?t really appreciate it up close. It?s best viewed from afar. You?ll pass it on the way to Osaka.

Not the same thing.

The bus tour I mentioned takes the tourists to a beautiful photo takings spot. Lunch included. Far enough from climbing, great view (weather permitting).

Some bonus batter ?

1) I would not stay in Yokohama. Don?t let the proximity of this port city fool you ? it is a ways off from Tokyo. Yokohama is a good half-day visit particularly to eat at Chinatown or traipse around the Ramen Museum. One point, I think of Yokohama as a ?date? place.

2) Roppongi-san?s ?in-Tokyo? itinerary is solid. You might want to wake up at 5AM one day (or stay out all night) and check out the Tsukiji fish market at auction time. It is almost beyond comprehension the amount of sakana moved daily out of the warehouses. Its current set-up is pretty cool. There is no visitor?s area so one has to interact with the workers, fast-moving forklifts, tuna and squid to navigate the aisles. There has been talk of a new market which would have a tourist viewing stage thus eliminating this current neat aspect of mingling-with-the-fishies. Then go and enjoy sushi breakfast.

3) As far as outside of Tokyo ? well there are two staples, both good, Nikko and Kamakura. Nikko is a solid two hour train ride into the woods (maybe longer) while Kamakura (and Kita-Kamakura) are about 40 minutes from Shinjuku on a limited express. I have been to both places at least half a dozen times ? usually as tour guide for visiting friends and relatives. My opinion is that Nikko is a full day affair (8AM ? 8PM) whereas one could flit around Kamakura for a few hours and still have enough energy to return to Ol? Edo and paint the town. One note about Nikko ? unless your JR pass is all-encompassing, ride the Tobu Line out of Asakusa.

4) Nara is a day trip from Osaka not Tokyo.

5) I think a weekend stroll around Omotesando and Harajuku is a must. If anything, to see the contrasts of Takeshite Dori (teeny boppers and punks) and Omotesando Dori (maybe the classiest boulevard in Tokyo with its fashionable shops and gally-gals strutting their latest Prada purchases!).

6) Pick your poison to get to Tokyo from Narita. In a country that possesses the greatest infrastructure the scumbag politicians here are being bought by someone, somewhere (I have been told the Airport Limousine Bus Company). Translation ? no ?fast? way to get into Tokyo from the airport. I tend to favor the bus simply because I do not like carrying baggage onto subways. Also the bus service is more frequent. The NEX arrives at Tokyo Station quick enough but it is slow death beyond to Shinjuku, Shibuya, etc. I could race the NEX from Tokyo Station to Shinjuku and win (even wearing my Joan Jett model glitter flip-flops!).

Roppongi said:

Found the thread:

http://board.nanaplaza.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=193588&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=hotel%20Tokyo&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Main=193185&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=4362&daterange=1&newerval=2&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=#Post193588&bodyprev= [/quote

Holy Guacamole! That URL was impossible! :cussing: This calls for a Tiny URL

Archived