Firefox 0.9 - Web Browser

Straycat

Have given the browser another chance with this version - and it does seem pretty good alright, but it draws up pages, at least from my pc, a bit differently, all the page graphics get displayed at the very last moment after watching gaping holes, image markers and the underlying alt text, until they display - anyone else getting this?

SoiledCowboy said:

Have given the browser another chance with this version - and it does seem pretty good alright, but it draws up pages, at least from my pc, a bit differently, all the page graphics get displayed at the very last moment after watching gaping holes, image markers and the underlying alt text, until they display - anyone else getting this?

Probably normal if you are on a slower connection. In my opinion Firefox renders web pages faster than Internet Explorer. (There may be differences in how and when the two browsers display images however).

khunsanuk said:

And looking at these statistics others seem to agree.

Mozilla usage has been steadily increasing for 1.5 yrs, and more than 11% of people are now using Mozilla/Firefox already.

Sanuk!

Hi KuhnSanuk,

Interesting statistics, thanks for sharing them.

I'm thinking they need to expand their columns and include more alternatives though. Example: I'm browsing you this evening using the Konqueror browser via SuSe 9.1, a very fine viewing experience, it is too. As a Mac fan I'm familiar with tabs and love using them in Safari and Mozilla and Camino (not a big Firefox fan myself) but this Konqueror has a browser window that is entirely unique among browsers- you can command it to split the viewer window into horizontal, or vertical, or both views, and when you click within one the URL in your address bar can reflect the different page you're on. Neat!

The world beyond Windo$e and IE just keeps getting brighter and brighter. ::

I'm thinking they need to expand their columns and include more alternatives though.

Probably because the number of people using konqueror are statistically insignificant at this point, unless you count safari (safari is built on khtml). Maybe if Sun sells all those Java Desktops (Novell/SuSE Linux) they claim. kfm and konqueror really do work great but since they bomb alot (albeit without leaving any debris) I suspect that mozilla or a derivitive (like epiphany in RHEL) and not konqueror will be the default browser on the rumored millions of linux workstations in the pipe.

The window splitting feature you talk about is really kfm not konqueror per se. You can also browse ftp, nfs and smb/cifs shares with kfm, press [CTRL][T] and get a console or open a console as a window pane, you can create thumbnail galleries when in directories of images..... packed with features which is prolly why it can be a bit unstable.

Archived