Hundreds of prostitutes smuggled in per year

think_too_mut

Hundreds of prostitutes smuggled in per year: report

June 24, 2004

Up to 1,000 women are smuggled into Australia to work as prostitutes every year, circumventing the usual immigration barriers, a report into sexual servitude trafficking has found.

The inquiry by the parliamentary joint committee on the Australian Crime Commission found that it was impossible to put an accurate number on the trade, which some people put as low as 10 women a year but others said was 1,000.

While some of the women knew they would be working in the sex industries, others thought they would be employed in restaurants or other legitimate industries, only to discover the truth when they arrived, the report said.

And the conditions they worked under were worse than brothels in Bangkok, with women expected to service as many as 10 men a day and unable to refuse to perform any acts.

"In ... karaoke bars in Thailand for example, the women may only have one customer per night, and up to 10 a month," the report said.

"In Australia, by contrast, they will be required to service between seven and 10 customers per day."

The committee said it was concerned by the ease with which traffickers were able to obtain entry visas for hundreds of women they bring into Australia each year.

It recommended the Australian Crime Commission focus its investigation into how traffickers were able to circumvent immigration barriers.

It also recommended more generous witness protection program payments to women who were prepared to give evidence against people smugglers.

AAP

>And the conditions they worked under were worse than brothels in Bangkok, with women expected to service as many as 10 men a day and unable to refuse to perform any acts.

"In ... karaoke bars in Thailand for example, the women may only have one customer per night, and up to 10 a month," the report said.

"In Australia, by contrast, they will be required to service between seven and 10 customers per day." <

In my view another example of a report comparing apples with oranges. Maybe the compilers of the report should do some hands on research.

Karaoke bars in thailand and brothels may have some things in common, but also great differences. I'm sure there are many cheap local brothels in LOS where similar frequencies occur as they quote in the Aus brothels.

Not that i condone the trade in human beings or exploitative prostitution.

Just wish they'd cut out the hyperbole.

O.k. not justify evil here...but there are many massage parlors/in call services here in the Bay area (SFO). Most of these girls are there of there own free will. Many live in the place, and take on all commers (pardon the punt), some maybe 7-10 a day, not forced this in fact seems to be a norm. Now, recently, they busted a Russian ring in SFO, and the girls all claimed they were forced...non of course want to go back home, for fear of retaliation, so they put in to stay here... Now, it seems the Neighbors interviewed all said the girls came and went as they pleased, drove around, went shopping out to eat in the neighborhood etc, direct opposite from what the girls were saying...the conclusion is/was that the "forced or smuggled" aspect was pure bullshit. However, that doesn't stop the news services from reporting this as an example of women being exploited, and exagerating any fact involved...this type of story sells, and we will no doubt keep seeing them...

Old Hippie said:

Now, recently, they busted a Russian ring in SFO, and the girls all claimed they were forced...non of course want to go back home, for fear of retaliation, so they put in to stay here... Now, it seems the Neighbors interviewed all said the girls came and went as they pleased, drove around, went shopping out to eat in the neighborhood etc, direct opposite from what the girls were saying...the conclusion is/was that the "forced or smuggled" aspect was pure bullshit.

It isn't necessarily bullshit. The story is usually that they get beaten, drugged and raped and threats are made against their families (go to the police and we'll kill your mother etc) until they lose the will to resist so just accept their fate. I recall someone was recently convicted in Australia of kidnap and slavery of Thai women so the evidence must have been strong. They were videoed happily chatting to the madam but the jury still convicted. Have you ever met a Thai woman who wanted to work in a brothel in Australia or Germany or wherever? I'm not saying all these stories are necessarily true but I'm keeping an open mind and wouldn't go anywhere near a "Thai massage parlour" etc in the West.

"Have you ever met a Thai woman who wanted to work in a brothel in Australia or Germany or wherever?"

Yes plenty.

In NZ the politically correct have become wide spread in the populace and even though I was instrumental in a small way in the prosecution of NZ's only ever slavery conviction, I can say quite unequivocally that 99.9% of foreign women in NZ on the game do it because it's easier than working for the same money.

If a Jury of NZ citizens was faced with a case that had a women in slavery slant to it, I can almost guarantee a conviction. If you have ever seen the stoning scene in the Monty Python film, "The Life of Brian" you'll know what I mean.

Cheers

Coss

"you ever met a Thai woman who wanted to work in a brothel in Australia or Germany or wherever"

Have U already talked to a thai hooker??

I can't believe U wrote that!!

""you ever met a Thai woman who wanted to work in a brothel in Australia or Germany or wherever"

Have U already talked to a thai hooker??

I can't believe U wrote that!! "

When it comes to Germany, its you who is ignorant if you can not see the mafia behind the prostitution there!!!

And yes, I do know a person who was slaved, abused, locked up in a room on the game. She knew she was going there as a prostitute, but not into slavery. She was working as a tailor in Thailand, lured into thinking fast money could be made abroad. Ignorant for sure, as she did not know that trade.

Yep! mafia and a HUGE majority of willing girls. I've known not a couple but dozens of them there, some sharing their income with a boss or a mamasan, others only paying a reasonnable rent. Herds of girls in Thailand willing to go and blow dicks in foreign countries.

One slave?? Damn i!? reread the question I answered and come back later.

Now i found a girl willing to go along to the Cap d'Agde, supposedly one of the biggest sex center in europe so I'll leave U for a while

Cheers!

Willing to work as a prostitute is NOT the same as agreeing to be beat up, locked into a room, no choice to say no to customers and end up back in Thailand as poor as she was when she left the country. Another fact is that the mafia who are into often are into other crimes as well.

You'd better talk to some Thai embassy staff AP, and you would see how big a problem this is. They are stuck with desperate girls trying to get home.

Sure, there is a lot of girls who do not end up in this situation, but you can not ignore that the problem is huge. Or maybe you do - as long as you can sanuk around or whatever?

Archived