'Old' Laptop Hard Drives what to do with them.

Hamokhamok

Just something I cam across while in Bangkok last week. Its a small box with the necessary equipment to put you old laptop hard drive into and make it a portable hard drive. This 'box' is called POCKET HARD DISK DRIVE. Now don't be confused when you see them as it doesn't have a hard drive in it when you buy it. I got one for 650 Baht. Works fine and now I can use my 'old' 10Gb hard drive as an extra portable hard drive which operates off the USB port.

Maybe sonmeone out there might make some use of this information.

Good for you and at 650B you also got a good deal. There are a number of manufacturers making these adapters (some are better than others) and they are available for both 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch drives. I have tried several and went with one called Hotdrive which is all metal, well made and a better design than most. The one I bought for the larger standard 3.5 inch drives is made by Mobile Disk and it makes a great tool for testing drives. Both support USB 2.0 and Firewire interfaces.

Note: you have to use either TWO USB jacks or an external powers supply to get enough juice for the 2.5 inch units to function properly with USB 2. The larger 3.5? units have a separate power supply as these drives require 12 volts.

ST

Yes I had a little problem getting it to work but as usual the instructions were a little confusing (or I was confused with the instructions) but have managed to get it to operate.

I have Windows 98 on this hard drive too. Don't know if I can get to use it too. I have XP on the laptop hard drive.

I forgot to say that I bought it in Pantip Plaza. They were selling them in IT CITY on the top floor for 750 Baht. I got mine on the ground floor. Right hand side of the building. Walk towards the back and you'll see them in a glass caseon the left hand side of the aisle.

keekwai said:

>>>You would have a 20GB external drive diagnosed as bad

You mean I would finally be 100% convinced and could throw the piece of shit away?

555 :)

I have a couple of drives, one in particular with many docs and pics, that are unreadable. Don't know for sure that they cannot be recovered. I would be leery about someone else having their grubby little fingers non it. Some personal video on it!

Funny though, I can't seem to throw them away. The one with all of the data is probably usable. It fucked up when I was doing a backup in preparation of installing a new drive. Just as it finished, something happened. I was MOVING data from my old drive to that drive. Now that drive was unreadable, so NO COPIES! Grrr.

I'm sure I can reformat it and use it again, but would lose all of the data. 40 Gb drive, been gathering dust for at least 1 year.

Sometimes, it's just hard to let go.

Archived