'Old' Laptop Hard Drives what to do with them.

Hamokhamok

I?m very happy with the 2.5? package I ended up with. What I did was upgrade the 40 GB drive in my Toshiba laptop to a higher speed 5400 rpm 60 GB unit (about $150).

After transferring the disk image to the new drive (this took several attempts) I installed the old drive in the portable Hotdrive housing.

This thing makes a great little backup device and is very useful for moving programs or a large number of files from machine to machine.

ST

That sounds like a good idea.

I have another device which I bought a few years agao. Its called an XDRIVE. 30 Gb and I use when I am away to download photos to from my camera each evening. This leaves my camera free to be used the next day. The XDRIVE too is a small device and easy to carry around. You don't however need a PC to transfer the photos. It can of course be used for all types of files.

Khun_Kong said:
keekwai said:

>>>You would have a 20GB external drive diagnosed as bad

You mean I would finally be 100% convinced and could throw the piece of shit away?

555 :)

I have a couple of drives, one in particular with many docs and pics, that are unreadable. Don't know for sure that they cannot be recovered. I would be leery about someone else having their grubby little fingers non it. Some personal video on it!

Funny though, I can't seem to throw them away. The one with all of the data is probably usable. It fucked up when I was doing a backup in preparation of installing a new drive. Just as it finished, something happened. I was MOVING data from my old drive to that drive. Now that drive was unreadable, so NO COPIES! Grrr.

I'm sure I can reformat it and use it again, but would lose all of the data. 40 Gb drive, been gathering dust for at least 1 year.

Sometimes, it's just hard to let go.

Not quite true Kimosabe. ::

If the HD is not physically damaged you can retreive the data. (I do this daily for others) You need to get a program that will make an ISO drive image and ignores the operating system (which is what can't read it) (same for CDs.... even ones the dog played frisbie with ) It's Windoz that can't read it, not that it ain't there.

So find a copy of Drive Image or Ghost or something similar. Save you stuff, reformat the drive and put it back :up:

Or if the drive is just kicking around, I'll do it for you when I'm over next trip.

(You can also recover data from totally fried drives, but it's pricey as it has to be done in a Zero dust environment)

Archived