A good time to be Australian

Ah, the Irish - its not that long ago that half the country was Irish, or (at the very least) had a relative who still spoke with a noticeable accent. I'm not sure what the percentage of Irish living outside their own country is, but it must be right up there with the Aussies and Kiwis !

Does it amuse you to see 'Irish' pubs in pretty much every country you visit ? Amusing to see a longstanding 'German beer hall' morph into yet-another-bloody-O'Reillys overnight in Brissie last year - may have even carried it off if they hadnt kept exactly the same waitresses ::

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Don't business visitors to Thailand already get 90-day entry stamps (Non-Imm B visa)? I assume that an "immigration formality" is a visa?

Already, Brazil, Chile, Korea and Peru passport holders can stay up to 90 days for tourism and temporary business.

Australia is among many countries whose citizens can stay up to 30 days for tourism only. Above that, different process.

My reading is - with this agreement, Australia is joining Brazil, Korea, Chile and Peru who can stay up to 90 days without application.

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/visa.htm

Does it amuse me to see Irish Pubs in almost every country I visit?

Well.. actually it kind of depresses me. Our primary cultural export being our penchant for alchoholism...

Nowadays Irish people travel not because we have to but because we want to... and the rite of passage is the post graduation, post first job trip to Australia.. usually via Thailand.

It's funny to return to your village or small town in Ireland and chat with other people about drinking in exactly the same places... The Cock & Bull in Bondai or The Mercantile or Hero of Waterloo down the rocks... but at the same time it kind of depreciates the value of your trip... treading over the same ground as exery other Irish Working Holiday Visa Holder.

These places in Australia become an extension of your local pub.

I was in the Hero of Waterloo one day.. I went up to the counter and ordered some drinks. The barmaid asked me.. "Are you from Wicklow?". I replied in the affirmative. Then she asked "Is your name S*** B****?".... When I told her it was she said she had met me at a wedding in Cork a few years back.

I was also spotted by someone on Elizabeth Street in Sydney, someone I didn't even know. Weird. Glad I got out to be honest.

I finally ended up living with a couple of Maori guys, (Awsome people), a young slot jockey from Perth, a gay alchoholic guy with a perm who slept with his poodle and watched Abba videos non stop, a red-neck chick whose dad beat her with a bicycle chain and grew fields full of weed when she was a kid and whose mum had an affair with the manager of the halfway house and nicked the safe, an English guy who spent his entire stay hounding the chick he had met on the internet and not doing much else and a bunch of criminals and down & outs in a halfway house in Strathfield.

Now, that's what I call reall Aussie culture!

think_too_mut said:

My reading is - with this agreement, Australia is joining Brazil, Korea, Chile and Peru who can stay up to 90 days without application.

Not sure I understand how you read the words "upon application" to mean "without application".

It still sounds to me like you guys are not gaining anything on length of stay without a visa.

Also I note:

"immigration formality"; means a visa, work permit, or other document or electronic authority granting a natural person of one Party the right to reside or work in the territory of the other Party

It does say:

"A Party shall process expeditiously applications for immigration formalities from natural persons of the other Party, including further immigration formality requests or extensions thereof."

So maybe they will setup a visa extension service center just for Aussies.

TH

ThaiHome said:

Not sure I understand how you read the words "upon application" to mean "without application".

It still sounds to me like you guys are not gaining anything on length of stay without a visa.

Also I note:

"immigration formality"; means a visa, work permit, or other document or electronic authority granting a natural person of one Party the right to reside or work in the territory of the other Party

It does say:

"A Party shall process expeditiously applications for immigration formalities from natural persons of the other Party, including further immigration formality requests or extensions thereof."

So maybe they will setup a visa extension service center just for Aussies.

TH

Oz Prime Minister: "We also signed, very importantly, an agreement in relation to working holidays, which is a wonderful expression of the close personal links between the two countries, people-to-people links which, in the end, are the essence of good relations between countries."

Working holidays?

That's what Oz has always had with UK, Ireland, US, Malta...

If that's all, the 3 months visa goes to students/youngsters under 28, upon application. I don't know how many Ozies would go and do 150B per day backpacker work in Thai. Maybe, work as receptionists in KSR hostels or something.

Thais may gain more, at least working holiday visa jobs in Oz pay 30-50K baht per month.

Will dig through the press more extensivelly to see if there is another opinion.

Ha ha ha! Some great stories there, Fidel.

I used to live in Srathfield myself, (and Burwood), in a house quite similar to the one you mentioned... brought back some funny memories.

Ah... I can see the tourism slogan now:

"AUSTRALIA - THERE'S MORE CULTURE IN A TUB OF YOGHURT..."

FlyP

I finally ended up living with a couple of Maori guys, (Awsome people), a young slot jockey from Perth, a gay alchoholic guy with a perm who slept with his poodle and watched Abba videos non stop, a red-neck chick whose dad beat her with a bicycle chain and grew fields full of weed when she was a kid and whose mum had an affair with the manager of the halfway house and nicked the safe, an English guy who spent his entire stay hounding the chick he had met on the internet and not doing much else and a bunch of criminals and down & outs in a halfway house in Strathfield.

LOL ! That sounds disturbingly like some of my share-house experiences in Sydney as a lad. I went to school in Parramatta, and later lived in various parts of the North Shore, then Bondi, Coogee, Surry Hills (well before it became fashionable...), Cronulla and Kogarah. In the end, the place was driving me completely crazy, and I fled to live with a mate in Adelaide. Have to agree with you re the Maoris - wonderful, laidback people.

Archived