Anyone know of the ADSL special off

John_Betong

Hi,

Hmm, *very* mixed experiences there and the last post (about the long queue and TA not planning any upgrades) has me a bit worried though.

Still have 2-3 months on my 1-year package with MWeb, so I guess I can wait a bit longer before deciding.

Sanuk!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been using TRUE adsl since April with nothing but good results. Circuit was out one afternoon for a few hours but that was the only outage and speed was always above the 256/128 I paid for but at 14 baht per hour was not viable for full time use. This service was upgraded to full time international service at double the speed on July 1 and so far so good. My current connect speed is 577 and downloads average a little over 60kbps anytime I do enough to measure. As speed on MWeb was between 3-5kbps feel it is a real big improvement. Cost is now 750 baht per month total.

Yes, you also have full use of phone line and can even use for 56k dialup if you like. Only 1 filter/splitter is supplied so if you have multi phones you will need to buy more or run direct to your computer and from splitter to your phones (which I do - one filter for 4 extension lines).

The sooner the better if this weekend is any indication. Speeds were way down and erratic. Some tests to US were under 100k for 512 service. Today running around 300k. Major lines were switched to CAT control recently so it may be adjusting phase. Or it may be oversubscribed already.

But at any rate it beats dial up by a long margin and with full time service and not tying up phone line consider 750 baht well spent.

Hi,

"But at any rate it beats dial up by a long margin and with full time service and not tying up phone line consider 750 baht well spent. "

Yeah, guess you have a point there. I'm paying ~600 for Internet now, plus ~400-500 for my phoneline. ADSL 1024 would work out to be likely even slightly cheaper.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Well, installed the modem without any problems this afternoon and received a phonecall from True around 7pm with my login details.

Obviously went to try it out immediately.

Unfortunately I had restarted my machine in the meantime, and windows now utterly refuses to recognize the modem :(

Spend 2 hrs trying to fix the problem, but no luck.

Running the setup with the modem results in a screen telling me to plug in the modem, which of course *is* plugged in.

Windows recognizes a new device, but refuses to accept that it is a modem. It keeps insisting that it is unknown and that it cannot install because "The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."

I am completely lost :(

Sanuk!

That error message usually means an NT 4 legacy driver was installed on a Win2k/XP system. Try forcing it to use a different driver; use device manager and let windows scan the cd-rom for drivers.

Archived