Washington Square/BKK - last stop for adventurers

MaiLuk

I expect some gawkers and other suspicious characters to begin arriving to see or join the larger than life characters at the Square after this article in Time Magazine.

Tread carefully, though: Squaronians like to keep to themselves, scaring off strangers with thousand-yard stares. Perhaps that's just as well. As one former resident who managed to escape its pull said, the square is "self-contained, self-righteous, fascinating, and a fire escape to nowhere."

See you there ::

I ain't sayin'...if I told ya I'd have to kill ya, and that just wouldn't be neighborly :p

"the moth-eaten Cape buffalo head"

The story behind that is pretty funny, too. George* had a friend who was working in Africa. This friend thaught it a good joke to send George this bloody big ass stuffed head and shoulders from a buffalo he had shot. Well, the Thai Customs did not know what to make of it and charged an import duty on a buffalo. George argue that it was not a buffalo, but an object d'art as said buffalo was deceased. No luck with that one. The Customs guys even whent as far as requiring a 45 day quarantine for the "buffalo" because that is what the books said that imported buffalos needed. :dunno: "But it's dead!" cried George to no avail and off the head went to the quarantine farm. George swears that that damn head cost him B80K (in late 80's-early 90's baht) when it was all said and done! He says "that motherf#&%er will be on the wall here forever for that kind of money!!"

* - For those that do not know George, the owner of the Lone Staar, he is quite the character and has been here in LoS for 35+ years. He is one of the few remaining colourful characters out and about now and he is the only guy I know who out Peter Pan's Nanapong's infamous Somchai! (George is 82 while Somchers is only 72). More proof that a steady diet of Thai pussy keeps you young, cuz George is 400# if he is an ounce (and has been forever), drinks like a fish, (I think) just quit smoking, etc and by all accounts should not be alive.

Cheers,

SD

Archived