Demanding Relatives, typical Thais, IMO

jasmine

From Thairath.com: of today.

The lottery winner on The 1st of May 2004, who won 20 million Baht, tried to commit suicide by drinking insecticide but was saved.

The main reason for him to want to die was because of some of his and his wife?s relatives wanted him to share more money with them. The news states that in the interview with the man, he stated that the relatives showed up and he gave them some money, such as 10,000 Baht some as high as 100,000 Baht. However, some of his relatives were very upset saying that they did not receive enough, some cursed at him badly and some threatened his life and his wife?s. Being so stressed he took a drink of water laced with insecticide, fortunately his daughter found him and took him to a hospital in time to save him.

Now, this is a typical of many Thai families who feel that one who is more fortunate (or appear to be fortunate) must share. I got cursed at a few times in my younger days when I flatly refused to give money and some of my relatives still do not talk to me. Now in my old age, they don?t dare, but I still have cousins who gave me hints on what they needed, I normally told them that my Thai is not that good anymore, not enough to understand their hints. More often, they just give me hints about wanting me to buy alcohol, however, Hubby and I don?t drink, so they have a hard time convincing us.

I feel that giving money, buying things for someone should be in the discretion of the persons who want to give, not because they are relatives.

I do feel really sorry for this guy.

:(

Jasmine

Hi,

"More often, they just give me hints about wanting me to buy alcohol"

Get that from my wife's cousins and uncles whenever I am upcountry (as long as my mother-in-law is not within hearing distance that is :: ). I usually just play stupid.

Recall one episode which I think was kinda funny. One of the guys held up an empty bottle for me telling me "whisky is finished". I took a good look at the bottle and told him "Yes, whisky is finished". He then told me "money finished", so I took out 2 1 Baht coins looked at them and told him "Yes, money finished". He gave up at that point.

It usually (as was in this case) is all good natured though. Of course I still refuse to buy booze, especially since I don't drink.

"I do feel really sorry for this guy."

Yep, with family like this, who needs enemies.

Sanuk!

in such situation i also suddenly stop drinking and care very much about moral and health of complete strangers!

but with a few good phrases and jokes in thai (for example i recite the health ministries official warning phrase against booze and smoking) you can turn off a lot of those requests easily.

This is something my wife is trying to come to terms with. In a way, she too has won the lottery and her family is certainly benefiting. When we lived in Bangkok, there were a couple of cousin types that showed. Wasn't long before the request for "loans" started. This hurt my wife deeply as it was obvious the only reason they came around to see her was because of the money. This has caused her to distance herself from most of her non-immediate family, people she grew up with. The latest issue is trying to stop her mother from giving away the whole monthly allowance to charity cases.

I can see her getting more and more fed up with the situation and getting to point where a serious cutback occurs.

I keep out of the whole thing.

I have no problem buying the beer and whiskey (and food) when we visit. At 3 bottles of Chang for 100 baht it is not going break me and I enjoy the company. These are hard working people and they deserve some fun too.

TH

Hi,

"I keep out of the whole thing."

Smart move :)

"I have no problem buying the beer and whiskey (and food) when we visit. At 3 bottles of Chang for 100 baht it is not going break me and I enjoy the company. These are hard working people and they deserve some fun too."

Not disagreeing with that, but it feels a bit awkward to hear such requests from people who hardly know you. Especially knowing that you are only getting them is because you are a farang, and therefore have so much money that you could not possibly spend it all.

Sanuk!

In my opinion this type of thing is one of the reasons upcountry Thai are usually broke and often called lazy. If you have money from work, lottery whatever your family and neighbors will pester you until they they've gotten your last baht out of you. If you don't share your money you're called kee-niaow. The only real option to get a good nights sleep again is to blow your money as fast as possible. Not much incentive to work hard and save money.

[color:"red"]Thai are usually broke and often called lazy. If you have money from work, lottery whatever your family and neighbors will pester you until they they've gotten your last baht out of you. If you don't share your money you're called kee-niaow. [/color]

I know just like being careful with your hard-earned money is a crime. Also, I find envy is a little wide-spreaded than ever now. Whatever happens to the Budhist teaching, such as being humble and cautious?

I said it before that these people will never survive unless they learn money management. Here the Thai governement is having some more cash to loan out to the ones who register as "poor persons". Well, how did I slip into writing about Thai politics? Sorry.

Jasmine :(

Guest lazyphil

<<Whatever happens to the Budhist teaching, such as being humble and cautious?>>

Yes, I agree, the Thai face is contray to Buddhism, nothing against them but I see lots of new cars in bkk these days driven by whoever, I wonder if they own them or the bank, but it must make them feel wealthy....not very cautious money management....so called educated Thais??

What if you don't win the lottery and you are still "demanded" to pay for the house and all that comes around?

Sacrifice your life to improve the living standard of your parents with a smile.

It does not come as a surprise then that you are "demanded" to give your millions away when you have some.

Archived