Turbulence...

MooNoi

How do you cope with turbulence when flying?

I don't get scared, but I've had two experiences that were really rough - one on BA between BKK and Sydney, and one on Malaysian between Kuala Lumpur and Adelaide. In both cases the plane was getting shaken around in both instances the aircraft 'dropped' suddenly a couple of times for a few seconds. There were a few tears (and probably a few prayers), being shed in the cabin around me I noticed! I was fine, and don't get scared, but the palms were getting a little sweaty...!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I usually keep my seatbelt on the entire time I'm flying especially over the Pacific. I know about these things from my background. I don't want to have my head slam into the ceiling if we hit the big one.

As for being scared a 747 can take a whole lot of punishment and the integrity of the aircraft doesn't bother me one bit.

LL

Hi Fly, I voted three, love aviation and technology etc but still feel helpless just sitting there pretending to look cool :: :: ::. It's not the turbulance that will kill you, so much as the bean-counters running the airlines that really worry me - on a BA flight leaving BKK, the aircraft just had a very casual go at getting up to rotate speed and seemingly just on that borderline, lifted off and spent the next 30secs in a shudder as it gained some height - probably within operating manual minimums, but just no need for that with 500 passengers aboard all looking at each other and waiting for the plane to crash into a Bangkok slum due to loss of airspeed! My guess is, like the Qantas BKK over-run incident, this too was a result of H/O fuel-saving cost-cutting to the extreme. ::

Hi SC

The Bkk overrun was not a fuel issue....was the co pilot error the captain called for a ""go around"" but not enough time as they were about to hit the deck and overran the sweet spot by then as well.

The pilot took the heat from the company ...have personal knowledge of this .....he lives a few streets from me and one of my sons is best mates with his son.

Qantas ...however are doing strange things these days ::

Its fun. But I do get angry if I spill my drinkie. And then there is the wait to get it refilled :(...

FYI, there is no turbulance in a large commercial airliner :neener:. Try a chopper or a 12 seater jet in bad weather! That'll get ya sticking yer head betwix yer legs to kiss yer ass goodbye LOL!!!!!!!

Stewardess....Dewars!

no need for that with 500 passengers aboard all looking at each other and waiting for the plane to crash into a Bangkok slum due to loss of airspeed!

Now *THAT* would be an interesting way to enter Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy!!! :o;)

Archived