Turbulence...

MooNoi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last flight to BKK from SF was a bit jumpy at times, and I can get sweaty (#2 for me), but also pretty good at rationalizing potholes under a car are worse stuff. Just don't like not being in control.

Anyway, that last trip, i just felt uncomfortable many instances from SF to Tokyo, irrationally. But: the last stretch from Tokyo to BKK, was at least samesame in terms of turbulences, but the prize being so close, the fun of being soon in LOS made me ignore the shaking. This time, RATIONALLY!!!! :D

One time I was on a flight in one of those commuter type aircraft that seat about 19 people, when in the space of less than a second, the plane flipped over and suddently we were almost, if not completely, upside down. My instinct was to grab on to the seat in front of me in what would have been a futile effort to keep from hitting the ceiling, but fortunately the seat belt took care of that. Bags and things were flying around the cabin. Lot of screaming was coming mostly from the female passengers. I really thought it was over for me as I had never experienced anything this violent in flight before, but about a second or two later (seemed like a long time through), the pilot snapped the plane right back to a level flight position and everything was fine. A few minutes later he came on, appologized and said we had encountered "wing turbulance" from a larger aircraft that had decended towards the airport just ahead of us.

Looks like I'm the only "white knuckle flyer" so far, however still voted #3. Nonetheless I still, irrationally perhaps, worry that due to poor maintenance, metal fatigue, etc that if there's going to be trouble it may well be during heavy turbulence. That China Air 747 flight that broke apart in mid air over the ocean stilll comes to mind. However, if its going to crash there aint too much you can do about it (just hope its on the way back from LOS instead of on the way....)

A few bad turbulence experinces: had an L1011 drop like a rock so fast and long even the stews were scared; last summer went thru a typhoon to land at Kansai, plane was being twisted around, creakin and groaning and shakin so bad I told myself I'm dead already so there's nothing further to worry about.... ::

On a recent flight out of Florida thru Panhandle thunderstorms on a small 20 seater turbulence seemed to stop the plane in midair - the pilot YELLED to to stews to sit IMMEDIATELY (abandoning drink cart just before me - and I could've used a drink :( ). Pilot later came on and said he'd never seen any turbulence like that in all his years flying.

Suadum's right about the smaller planes: I've taken smaller propeller planes over bumpy coastlines or over mountain tops where you were very thankful they had seat belts... but that kind of turbulance is more like a roller coaster than a Jack Hammer... ::

Archived