Should a Thai spouse change her last name?

steffi

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was married this year my wife was told by the registrar that she had 60 days to change her ID card to reflect her new surname. I presume that it is a legal requirement.

She now has a new Thai ID card in her married name only.

Her passport and UK visa are still in her maiden name. I just get the airline to issue the tickets in her maiden and have never had any problems.

Mostly I believe that they do not change their name on their ID card, as this will close a lot of doors, including restrictions on owning land. I have no idea whether this is a legal requirement or not, but I also know Thais married to Thais that have not changed their names.

It is quite easy to get an insert put into a passport to say that she is married and her married name is so and so.

• 2 weeks later...

The restriction on owning land has only been ammended, not removed. There is a limit on how much a woman married to a foreigner can own. Basically, it's not much -- hardly a decent yard for a N American style home.

It is still quite common for foreigners to marry Thais and register the marriage in the foreigner's home country, but not Thailand. Not so long ago, one wishing to buy property was faced with the unpleasant experience of having his wife divorce him, and then buy the land. Then they would have to remarry, after a suitable interval.

Flashermac,

the information I have recieved is:

"Prior to 1998, any Thai woman who married a foreigner would lose her right to purchase land in Thailand. She could, however, still retain land that she owned prior to marrying the foreigner. However, the recent (1999) Ministerial regulation now allows Thai national's married to foreigners the right to purchase land, but the Thai spouse must prove that the money used in the purchase of freehold land is legally solely theirs with no foreign claim to it. This is usually achieved by the foreign spouse signing a declaration stating that the funds used for the purchase of property belonged to the Thai spouse prior to the marriage and are beyond his claim."

May need to dig deeper on this....Can you share where you got your information from.

Thanks

Sanukboot.

• 1 year later...

This topic hasn't been discussed recently.

Does anyone have any more advice or expierence with this issue?

The advantages I can think of for a Thai spouse to keep her last name is it may be easier for her to buy land and do business in Thailand.

What are the disadvantages? Maybe the Immigration service in your home country would question this as to wether you have a sincere and legitimate married relationship?

Sanukdee,

"What are the disadvantages? Maybe the Immigration service in your home country would question this as to wether you have a sincere and legitimate married relationship? "

My ex-wife did not change her surname after we married, with my blessing. (Perhaps that was one of my mistakes? Anyway...) It was not an issue at her AOS interview in the USA, never mentioned or questioned.

Regards, JEff

Archived