Should a Thai spouse change her last name?

steffi

This is actually a very good question.

I would bet that legally there is no such requirement, that the requirement is based simply on the fact of being married.

BUT: practically, can you imagine going to a thai consulate abroad, or to an immigration office within Thailand, and trying to present documents other than the registration papers from an amphur in Thailand?

When I was married to an American in my past more conventional life, I don't even remember having any papers that could be presented as proof of being married! Such paperwork is generally unimportant in the US (for people who aren't dealing with immigration issues) and I'll bet most married couples never had or long since misplaced any marriage certificates, etc, even if they ever did have them.

But then again, I work with a guy who has a type-O based on marriage, which was issued in Los Angeles. I don't remember him saying whether he needed to show any marriage certificate. If I remember I will ask him whether they ever registered the marriage in Thailand. Note that he got the Thai visa based on marriage/support even though his wife is now an American citizen!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BUT: practically, can you imagine going to a thai consulate abroad, or to an immigration office within Thailand, and trying to present documents other than the registration papers from an amphur in Thailand?

Note that I did just that (go to an embassy - excuse me "Royal Thai Embassy") with US paperwork. I did back it up with proof she'd been to the US.

So the question remains...

"I agree that *in practice* not registering a marriage in Thailand would ....."

"....So technically I'd think that just the fact of being legally married still exposes you to the problems you are trying to avoid by not registering the marriage at a Thai amphur. "

I think you just said it....."technically, SHE would still be exposed to any sudden changes to the Thai laws that would suddenly restrict her ownership of land once again.

However, this being Thailand we are talking about, do you believe it is feasable to expect the Thai Amphur and government to suddenly hunt down all Thais who are married overseas and list them as unable to own land, etc., especially when the current laws restricting land ownership among those married to foreigners is, according to what others have said on this board and recent interpretations I found elsewhere, allegedly repealed?

As someone else suggested on this thread, I think it's more likely that the Thai govt. might suddenly repeal the repeal to their land restrictions. This is my opinion of coarse.

ABC

KhMarried,

Thanks on expanding on the legal details. If I'm correct in understanding your informative reply, it sounds like a Thai woman (who has a child) with a US Citizen would mean the child gets US Citizenship, thru the various means you listed for the various possible circumstances. I never understood the specific mechanisms for why the child be get US citizenship, but I was sure he/she would get it if the father was an American. The main concern of my post was how the child could ensure getting Thai citizenship. Being born of a Thai mother in Thailand was the best way to ensure this, irregardless of the paternity or father's marriage/lack of marriage to the mother in any country.

ABC

Note that he got the Thai visa based on marriage/support even though his wife is now an American citizen!

Minor point but believe he gets the visa in LA based only on marriage. If he later obtains a yearly extension here in Thailand it may be based on support.

Archived