"what happened to the clothes I bought you"

pattaya127

jasmine said:Once you bought and gave them to her, they are hers to do whatever she wants, never of that?
And the loss of face so important in asia works both ways. Imagine a friend who had seen her in such a dress asking her, in front of the man who bought it, where it was and she says that she gave it away / threw it away. loss of face for the guy who bought it for her.

The door swings both ways, not only the way the Thais and asians want it to.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bibblies:

Because they don't really like them that much and so they make their way to other people.

-------------------------------

usually, I don't buy if they (general realization, not just one GF) don't like, but point taken except some dresses the GF she does not like to wear are still there. I think a lot get lost when moving or staying somewhere (Island, slumbering at friends). Distraction, and of course, later on, there are accusations that you BF forgot it at the laundry, or the "laundry" kept it because someone there liked it, etc.... It is so damned hard for them to say they did something wrong themselves.

Once you bought and gave them to her, they are hers to do whatever she wants, never of that?

------------------------------

Off topic, jaz, if I may say respectfully. I Just asked where they go IYO, not how we react to it. Marekedly said i do not ask anymore. Sounds pretty cool, unemotional way to react, IMO.

Same goes with bath towels. Buy 5 and only have 2. Buy 3 more, still only have 2. They seem to find a home. Now I only buy extra bath towels only when I 'feel generous'.

[color:"red"] Off topic, jaz, if I may say respectfully. I Just asked where they go IYO, not how we react to it. Marekedly said i do not ask anymore. Sounds pretty cool, unemotional way to react, IMO.

[/color]

Sorry if I sounded that way, not my intent though.

What I am trying to say is, IMO, if Hubby ever asks what happens to certain things like clothes, it will drive me bananas. However, I buy my own clothes even jewelry not like you guys who buy your loved ones stuff which in a way, is nice.

It is not important to me and I will feel it is a little too much invading my decisions on such non-important things, IMO, sorry.

Jasmine

[color:"red"]Ah but Jasmine do you borrow your husband's clothes?

My ex used to borrow my favourite commemorative tee shirts. For dusters!

[/color]

No Hon, never yet, not a bad idea though!!! :D

We have never had any problem about clothes, I buy him clothes and he has never complained. ::

However, I do understand the point that if you buy clothes as (gifts-how I interpretted) for the loved ones and they turned around and gave them away, it is a little disturbing. Also, I do feel that I cannot understand why such trivia thing is important, sorry.

Jasmine

Jasmine, I think some may feel a little hurt that a gift that was given out of love didn't seem to be appreciated enough to keep. Perhaps its a cultural thing. Not sure if Thai men feel the same if their wives or gf did it and would a Thai woman give away her husband's or BF's gift of clothes?

I've kept certain gifts I've gotten even though I wasn't particularly thrilled about the gift although I appreciated the thought and the gift. If the person is a frequent visitor to my place, I need to have it out so they won't think I gave it away.

[color:"red"] Jasmine, I think some may feel a little hurt that a gift that was given out of love didn't seem to be appreciated enough to keep. Perhaps its a cultural thing. Not sure if Thai men feel the same if their wives or gf did it and would a Thai woman give away her husband's or BF's gift of clothes?

[/color]

Hi CS,

Good to see your posts. I don't know about Thai men, you know that I have left Thailand in my teens and have been here for all these years and am married to an American.

I have never been sensitive about gifts CS and I give more than I receive and I reaaly don't care what people do to them.

I just bought a new truck for my brother, I think I will be upset if he gives that expensive thing away though, now I am confused!! :(

Jasmine

I think you are the exception then. Most people, at least Americans since those are who I know well, would feel a bit offended if their gift were given away.

I remember as a child having to wear the ugliest shirt to visit relatives because my Aunt had sent it as a birthday gift. So my mother had me wear it to show how much it was appreciated. This shirt was ugly. I think my mom knew it as well and when I said I didn't want to wear it and she said it was a nice gift from your aunt, I said 'then you wear it'. That got me one in the back of the head. :doah::cussing:

I think, generally speaking, it would be hurtful to most folks. Jas, if you give me a truck I promise I'll cherish it forever. :D

I wouldn't be offended. A gift isn't a gift unless you completely let it go for the other person to do with as he or she wishes.

Having said that, I only buy underwear as gifts for girlfriends now. And I make sure they come with me to try it on. :hubba:

Come to think of it, lingerie's a special case... I don't think anyone'd mind the idea of sexy underwear being passed on from girl to girl. I know I wouldn't!:hubba:

Hell, why don't you just put a homing device on all future presents, Pattaya127, and have done with it?

Archived