Cambodia/PP - place to stay, places to have fun?

kamui

Hi,

I plan to fly from BKK to PP August 8. Last time I stayed in a hotel for 20 US$ "Tales of Asia" recommended, but the place wasn't very clean.

Any suggestions for a hotel in PP in the same price range which is guest friendly?

And I would like to have some fun at night, but I really prefer decent places. "Heart of Darkness" was my favorite bar two years ago, but I have heard that is frequented by arrogant, aggressive hi-so Khmer kids now. Once I went to Martinis, but I found this place extremely ugly, crowded with girls from Vietnam who were extremely pushy. I left the place very quick.

Any recommendations?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kamui

Hotels in PP are no cheaper than in BKK, possibly dearer. Look at canbypublications.com.

The Asia might suit you - very big rooms for 20usd

Mickey's on the riverside is another option - a new place.

California 2 is popular but river view rooms should be booked in advance.

Bargain with a smile - it's low season :)

Some bars that may be to your taste:

Black & White

DV8

Rose Bar

Shanghai

Temple Club

Try them all !

And you are right about Angkor: pity they don't have an attraction like this in LOS. If they did they might not have to rely so much on prostitition for their tourism.

Sorry, I mentioned booking in advance because river view rooms tend to fill up more quickly, and the back rooms of the riverside hotels, often without windows, are not so attractive.

However as I said it's not high season. I never commit to taking a 20usd room before I see it; maybe if I were spending 60+usd it would be different...

The key to any accommodation question lies in 'how long do you stay ?'

And where did you stay before ? (gives an idea of standards required).

PM me for more specific information

CN

Boy, you've asked the question at the right time, with flyonzewall AWOL!::

try www.km11.com, which'll redirect you to south-eastasia board, or something like that. It has up-to-date information. (I haven't been there for 2 years.)

Angkor Wat, S21, The Soup Dragon Vietnamese restaurant in Siem Reap, Sophie's Kitchen in Phnom Penh...

There was a place I stayed on the river recently (Visa run)that was $19 per night (no window) or $25 for a window. Very clean, nice staff, fridge, cable with everything, bath, remote control air-good deal and 24 hr. Internet access in the lobby for 50 cents an hour. But can't remember the damn name. Don't think you would need reservations, it is not in the center of the tourist area like California 2 (but a 5 minute 25 cent motodop ride).

Cryptic directions: Head down St. 108 (old market) until you hit the river--Sisowath Quay (sp?). Turn right, second street on the right, left side corner. They have Internet Explorer signs outside and I think it is called the "Riverside something".

As far as the clubs, Sharkey's is alright, Martini's I wouldn't go back to (obvious underage girls). It has also moved, no longer next to the Intercontinental. I avoid places like km11 like the plague, if your into BJ bars, the closest thing you will find is Sophie's Bar (near Central Market), there was another but the coppers shut it down.

Heard all the rumours about The Heart, but I never had a problem there. Howie's, Walkabout, and Shanghai all easy walking distance from The Heart (st. 51).

DR

@bibblies

If have read the board in the last days. I don't want to discuss it here but I found the general attitude of this board concerning low end prostitution and NGOs quite disgusting. This board showed me again why I am a member of Nanaplaza.com since two years...

Archived