Cambodia/PP - place to stay, places to have fun?

kamui

Any recommendations for interesting places besides PP and Angkor? It would be nice to travel a bit in the countryside...

Sihanoukville has great beaches, but maybe not the best place to go during the rainy season.

The same applies to much of rural Cambodia, given the general state of the roads. I enjoyed the Kompong Cham / Kratie / Ban Lung route by boat and plane, but I did it in January.

As to food, Thailand beats Cambodia on local cuisine, but PP has some fair foreign restaurants,

Wilhelm Tell - Swiss/German

Comme a la Maison - French

Nouveau Pho de Paris - Vietnamese/Chinese

and many more.

Affordable French wine too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short update>

I arrived in PP yesterday and had very nice night out.

I am staying at River Star Hotel (thanks DrRuth for the tip) in large room with a small balcony with the view on the Tonle Sap. It is a very nice place to stay (25 US$). It is not exactly located in the center, but only a short walk away.

It was a very long night which started at Sharkys bar. A good place to play pool, to meet people with some very nice girls. Later I moved on with a Brit to Shanghai Bar, but this place was almost empty. We spent the rest of the night at the "Heart of Darkness" which was quite bustling, where I picked up a companion for the night. I did not had the feeling that this place is more dangerous than two years ago, but later at night we where asked to move to a different table on request of a group of Khmer. Someone said that this guys where from the local mafia, but who knows.

By the way, I have been told that Martini just reopened 1-2 weeks ago outside the center and is closed again since two days. As far as I understood a high ranking Khmer was pissed off by the club.

I did not had the feeling that this place is more dangerous than two years ago, but later at night we where asked to move to a different table on request of a group of Khmer. Someone said that this guys where from the local mafia, but who knows.

Just walk away is the best policy. On the plus side you will have noticed better roads, street lighting, new bars and shopping malls.

Martinis girls will be around Sharkeys and the Walkabout, until M's re-opens.

I guess you found River Star guest friendly ? No funny looks from reception ?

Enjoy.

Guest lazyphil

I stayed at the Capital Guest House when I was in PP--bit of a backpacker dive but at 5USD whos complaining?....rooms were clean and cool.

River Star is guest friendly and a very nice place to stay. I just moved to what might be the best room in the hotel on the forth floor with a panoramic view on Tonle Sap and Mekong river and a small private balcony. The guy next door, the Brit whom I mentioned before, seems to be a little bit envious that he hasn't received the room.

Another plus is, that the hotel has almost 10 computers with *free* internet access, which is quite helpful since I have to work an hour or two on the net every day.

RE: Heart of Darkness.

Of course we moved the table with a smile and the Khmer party was friendly as well, so no problems anyway. But I don't know if there is another club in this area which checks all visitors for weapons on entry. :D:o

The shopping malls I havn't seen yet, but it was a very slow day today. Tomorrow I will walk more around the town.

Now it is time for Sharky's again. :beer:

We spent many nights in the Heart of Darkness a few months ago and didn't have or see any problems there. Ofcourse there were some Khmer guys hanging out in there but if you stay out of their way and be nice to them, no problems I think. In Martini's I saw much more characters I woudn't want to argue with. Walkabout bar was a relaxed place altough I was offered some pills by the girls. Didn't have the guts to try what they were :drunk:

Archived