Upgrading

khunsanuk

Hi,

"Are they still shown out of range with the little program you used first?"

Yes.

"No problem, Gigabyte knows what they are doing."

Cool.

"Did you get a new heatsink with the CPU or did you use the old one? 68°C is way to high for normal use."

All new, came as a set. In order there is the chip, on which is the heatsink, on which is the fan.

"No problem, switch back to 166Mhz for the front side bus."

Okay.

"So temperature, what's the room temperature where your computer is?"

Hot :)

No aircon, just a fan blowing on me and the computer.

"is the air coming out of the power supply warm or hot"

A little warm, but certainly not hot.

"But really, you got a new heatsink specified for an AMD 2500+?"

As I said, it came in one package (chip, heatsink & fan)

"Who installed the heatsink, you or the technician?"

Techy.

"You know if thermal grease (just a little, not too much) was applied to the CPU before mounting the heatsink?"

I saw him put some silicon stuff on it, white gooey stuff.

"Sorry, so many questions again. "

No problem, fire away as I would like to get this solved.

Sanuk!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Great, and now my machine keeps locking up :(

Not sure if this is because I am using G3 Torrent with quite a lot of open connections, or that this is related to a hot CPU.

Also a bit confused as to what the Power1 fan should be. Thought it was the main system fan which is in the side panel, and which I had disconnected as I removed the panel. However, when I hooked it up again, the program still says the Power1 fan is not running.

CPU temp also shot up to 75C, so I have the case open again.

Sanuk!

CPU temp also shot up to 75C, so I have the case open again

I would think you want to keep the case closed. Cases are designed to create air ducts to keep things cooler than having the case off where there is less ducting and more ambient air.

Hi,

"I would think you want to keep the case closed. Cases are designed to create air ducts to keep things cooler than having the case off where there is less ducting and more ambient air."

Maybe, but with the case on the CPU is at 75C, with the case off it's at 67-68C. Looks to me leaving it open is the better option in this case.

Sanuk!

KS,

while the boxed heatsinks aren't the best they do the job. That is to keep the CPU inside the specs which are 85°C max. Should be lower than 68°C, but difficult. Can't effectively cool with hot air.

Besides lowering the room temperature you can add a casefan, if there isn't one. Not much else you can do.

You can of course exchange the boxed heatsink with a better one. While I never heared of an 2500+ running at 68°C you will be happy to know that it is specified up to 85°C.

Please also check your BIOS version. Newest one is F9. Sometimes they adjust sensor readouts in newer BIOS (one of the things they fixed in version F2 as they say). With Live Update flashing BIOS is easy and with gigabytes dual BIOS it's nearly impossible to kill the board in the process.

There's a remote chance you have an older version and the readouts aren't ok.

Adikgede suggested underclocking of the CPU. I tried that with my 2500+ about a year ago. Set multiplicator from 11 to 10. reduced temp by about 2°C, so not worth the effort. Same you got only 4°C by reducing bus speed, again not enough to justify that.

Best you can do is put a case fan in the front to blow air inside and a case fan at the back behind the cpu that blows the air outside. Space between back of the case and wall should be 4 inch at least.

Hi,

your casefan should be connected to sys_fan connector next to the IDE sockets. This will be reported in BIOS Health monitor and should be reported by system monitor software as system fan or something like that. Power1-fan is maybe for power supplies that report fan speed (not sure).

You are sure the fan is up and running when you close the case?Is it blowing air into the case (which it should do) or sucking it out (which would be wrong for a fan mounted into the side panel).

:applause:

You seem to have most of it well covered. I concur that KS should make sure he has the latest bios updates and maybe poke arounf in the bios to make sure all the right settings are turned on. It might be helpful to set the MB to it's lowest default setting, especially as the techie may have set everything to 'max performance' and that will drive the heat up.

I would still not be happy with the CPU temps and would consider a) reseating the cpu heatsink/fan (mit thermal grease of course) and/or with an aftermarket one .......... he can check the amd site for recommendations although technnically all aftermarket ones void the cpu warrenty :(

Recommendations are Thermaltake A1745 Volcano 12 ,(they are a bit noisy) or a ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU with is scary quiet and an overclockers favourite.

Ambient room temp is the major prob ........... remember when the computer guy always had the only air con room to work in :)

Liquid cooling is the final option.... but pricey and a pain to install.

Hey maybe you could put it in the beer fridge and work with wireless ;) Lots of room as KS don't have beer. :neener:

Escape Rabbit said:

CPU temp also shot up to 75C, so I have the case open again

I would think you want to keep the case closed. Cases are designed to create air ducts to keep things cooler than having the case off where there is less ducting and more ambient air.

Depends on the case. Alot of cases are crappy and usually you have to mod them in order to cool them properly. Only in the past couple of years has attention been paid to case design and configurations, because of the hotter chips running in the boxes.

Maybe it's time for someone to make a case with some solid state cooling built in. :) I recall one of the members here is involved with this technology.

It would be truly a "Cool Case" :neener:

Archived