Upgrading

khunsanuk

There are cases around for fanless cooling. Adikgede pointed to one yesterday. And I know Zalman has one that looks like a server on hot weels. Lots of heatpipes inside and fins on the outside, everything jetblack. Cost over 1000 Euros.

I bought myself a Coolermate IceCube (sorry, didn't find many sites in english). Happy with it, even if I'm not near the temps mentioned there. Coolers from Titan are a real bargain and the models with copper base and speed control are very good.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah there IS some good high end stuff, and there is a new PSU that is totally silent because it has NO fan. Apparently works great. I have an interest in these for building Home Theatre computers...... small format, silent funiture ::

Futher to KS heat problem, I just went and speced my build and altough it is in a reasonable room 25 C, the open case is reading 30C and the Chip (AMD 2500) is idling at 33C.... so IMO something is definately wrong with his install. I recall that he said the tech put some 'goo' on the heatsink and that may be the problem. He bought a retail pkg, so the heatsink/fan is included ............ and therefore it already has the small block of thermal paste installed. Adding more will actually work the wrong way, especially if alot was added (you need only the thinest amount). Or he may have incorrectly seated the heatsink/fan. Hell I had one in last week that didn't even have the levers locked down. :banghead:

So I will continue to suggest that first he reseat it properly. This will require removing the heatsink/fan, cleaning ALL the old stuff off, (Use alcohol, and not from the Mekong bottle in FJs back pocket) then getting some thermal paste (I use Arctic Silver) and applying the thinest of coats...... just like the instructions state. Then reinstalling it correctly. AMDs are easy, but you still have to pay attention.

My money says this will significant lower the CPU op temp, even without a fan upgrade.

Your comments invited.

KS,

Your CPU is running way too hot! Something is not right, I suspect the heatsink on the processor my not be seated properly. What is the ambient temperature in the room it is operating in? My P-4 runs at about 41 ? 45 C with a motherboard temp of 25 ? 28 C. Manual says the mother board temp should not exceed 37 C or the CPU will over heat. I always install a front fan to suck air into the case in addition to the rear one blowing out.

If you can?t find a problem with the current heatsinks seating, I?d buy an aftermarket one. I use the copper Aerocool Deep Impact model 102 which will work with both AMD?s and P-4?s. Installing better quality fans and extra fans is always a good idea with the newer CPU?s running at near meltdown temperatures (expect a little extra noise though). And yes, the proper case can make a world of difference and is often overlooked. When shopping for a new case look inside and carefully consider the layout, fan size, airflow and options for adding extra fans if needed. A little extra money spent on a deluxe case pays off big-time, especially if you are the type to occasionally get inside the thing.

I don?t think it is necessary to resort to liquid cooling or exotic Pelter solid state coolers. Large heatsinks with lots of cooling fins and good airflow directly across them seems to do the job just fine, even on over-clocked systems.

ST

Hi,

Update...

Installed the CPUIdle program recommended, but see no difference at all :(

Checked my BIOS but don't know where to look for the version number. Also did not see anything out of the ordinairy in there.

Changed the system bus speed to 100MHz, and that has brought the CPU temp down to 57C (and it is no longer showing up as a problem). System temp is 37C btw, which I think is also too high, right?

A big part of the problem may just be that this room is quite hot, no aircon.

Sanuk!

Hi KS,

I also have my comp in a non-air conditioned room and I never shut it off. No excessive cooling, just the CPU fan and a case fan. Here is a screen dump from my killer app for this kind of thing, Sandra (every geek should have this software).

You will note that the voltages do not seem correct on mine either and I must believe that the voltage readings are correct. Are they bad? I do not know the specs, so cannot make an informed decision either way, but the machine performs flawlessly. Also note my temps, which I believe to be in the correct operating range.

++++++++++

Mainboard

Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC.

MP Support : No

Model : TUSI-MN

Version : REV 1.xx

Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxx

Processor

Model : Intel® Celeron CPU 1200MHz

Speed : 1.20GHz

Performance Rating : PR1444 (estimated)

Type : Standard

Package : FC-PPGA Socket370

Rated Speed/FSB : 1200MHz / 1x 100MHz

Multiplier : 12/1x

Generation : G6

Name : P6T (Tualatin) Celeron 130nm 1-1.4GHz 1.5V

Revision/Stepping : B / 1 (3)

Stepping Mask : A1

Microcode : MU06B11C

Core Voltage Rating : 1.500V

Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 32-bit

Native Page Size : 4kB

Temperature Sensor(s)

Board Temperature : 44.0°C / 111.2°F

CPU Temperature : 50.0°C / 122.0°F td

Cooling Device(s)

Auto Fan Speed Control : No

CPU Fan Speed : 3947rpm

Voltage Sensor(s)

CPU Voltage : 1.46V

Aux Voltage : 2.48V

+3.3V Voltage : 1.62V

+5V Voltage : 5.00V

+12V Voltage : 11.79V

-12V Voltage : -8.16V

-5V Voltage : -5.71V

Standby Voltage : 4.89V

Battery Voltage : 2.30V

+++++++++++++++

Cheers,

SD

OK, the bios is usually the first set of numbers that comes up when the machine POSTS ..... usually say something like AMI xxxxxx

Or go to the MB site (Asus?) and check the MB model..... they often have a bios update link. (My board supports live online bios upgrades...just did one, works great :neener:)

No, IMO your case temp is OK considering your environment, but the cpu temP is still high IMO, workable, but high. Thanks heavens you have a chip with great heat tolerance. I still believe that reseating it might fix the heat problem, but obviously up2u. As I say, my chip (same as yours) only runs 3-5 degrees above case temp at idle and 8-12 degrees under load. If this is your idle temp, what happens under load ?

Hi,

"I still believe that reseating it might fix the heat problem, but obviously up2u."

Maybe, but I am really not that comfortable with doing this myself.

"If this is your idle temp, what happens under load ? "

Have not noticed much difference, it goes up by maybe 2-3 degrees.

Sanuk!

ok, using the same benchmarks as Suadum just did, here are 2 machines I have currently running.

First my regular Office machine

Temperature Sensor(s)

Board Temperature : 45.0°C / 113.0°F

CPU Temperature : 37.0°C / 98.6°F

Cooling Device(s)

Chassis Fan Speed : 5444rpm

Voltage Sensor(s)

CPU Voltage : 1.65V

Aux Voltage : 2.48V

+3.3V Voltage : 3.30V

+5V Voltage : 4.73V

+12V Voltage : 12.42V

Standby Voltage : 6.85V

Battery Voltage : 3.38V

Now my new (still in pieces on the test bench) Sanuker Machine with the same CPU as you have.

Temperature Sensor(s)

Board Temperature : 29.0°C / 84.2°F

CPU Temperature : 30.5°C / 86.9°F

Power / Aux Temperature : 73.0°C / 163.4°F

Cooling Device(s)

CPU Fan Speed : 3068rpm

Voltage Sensor(s)

CPU Voltage : 1.63V

Aux Voltage : 1.73V

+3.3V Voltage : 3.38V

+5V Voltage : 5.13V

+12V Voltage : 12.16V

-12V Voltage : -12.53V

-5V Voltage : -5.30V

Standby Voltage : 5.07V

Battery Voltage : 3.01V

Please pay close attention to the temp and voltages.

PS..........Suadum............ it loks like your PSU is losing a rail as your voltages are getting off. :(

Archived