Upgrading

khunsanuk

I was talking about a value added retailer, some one who assembles a pc from commodity pc components, not a manufactured computer like Dell or HP sell. The price would be the same or less than the sum of the individual oem components. the cost for assembly is nominal sometimes no charge and you get a warranty. The only reason I could see for not building a pc that way was if building pc's is a form of recreation.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact is, peoples choices should rely upon their own competence and ability. Average PC buyer who gets HW from a corner shop will feel lost if their shop goes broke, and their PC later.

Hassle to find a new service supplier, can it be trusted? Face it, its easy to screw a customer. What about warranty - like people mentioned its kinda safe to have a Dell guarentee with home service.

We get a lot of guys at work, trying to cut corners and putting us to work their personal PC problems. I am quite fed up of that. Average Joe PC home user, make sure you have people other than me to solve your problems.

Cheers!

I really didn't have joe user in mind. we were talking about people who build thier own PC's I think that precludes the average user. My point is that unless people do it as a hobby it makes more sense to have a shop build it for you. The price should be the same as the sum of the parts if not cheaper and the warranty should be better than the service you can expect than by sending individul oem components back to the manufacture. As far as a shop going out of business that is a risk you always have to take even with large manufactures. I know HP isn't interested in supporting my DEC Alphastation.

Well Aki, we just got an Alphastation from HP for controlling instruments so I guess you better check that up again!

It took a bit time for me to get it up, managed it though through support documents from HP's WEB site. Could have called I guess - but would have been more hassle waiting etc.

Cheers!

Hi,

Took the machine back to the shop today. They looked at it, agreed that it was too hot. First they put on another fan (which brought the temp down some 2C), then replaced the board which made no difference.

They gave up after that having no idea either. A guy from another shop had the brilliant thought of "Well, as long as it doesn't hang, who cares?". Bloody morons!

So, end result, I wasted 140 Baht in cabfares and 2 hrs for zero change.

Sanuk!

Archived