Upgrading

khunsanuk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez Carlton, I like you more and more. ::

The price point for the 2500 AMD is great (about 3000 baht here) and the 2500 mobile is one of the best overclocking chips ever. (can run to a stable 3200 :: )

Put a decent MB with it and 512K of ram and it's a much more powerful and stable unit than anything from Intel, let alone a, crippled by design, Celeron.

I am currently stuffing one of these into a custom made case to take travelling with me. Maybe I'll post some pics of the "Sanuker PC" when it's done.

LaoHuLi,

the 2500+ is nice but I don't recommend overclocking. you need to adjust core voltage, this gives you higher temperatures and therefore louder CPU-fans. I got mine running at 1,41 Volt instead of the recommended 1,65 Volt. ::

3000 Baht sounds cheap, lowest I see in germany is 600 Baht more, shipping not included.

Hm, you build a desktop computer to travel around? Ever heared of the great developement named laptop? Nah, joking.

I took one small desktop to indonesia to leave it there (donation to family, top of the notch pentium 133Mhz). But taking it there and back? Nah!

only overclock the mobile 2500M chip as it is fully unlocked, and it's base core is 1,45 and it stays stable to 1,65+

And yes, I build desktops in a briefcase to overcome the laptop limitations, HD size, HD speed, Video card, DVD burner etc. Standard parts and desktop prices too. :: And I can Mod the heck out of the regular compnents as well.

Besides it looks really cool :neener:

(Next one will be a high end gamer in a briefcase, including a 939 Ath FX53 .... it will smoke just sitting there)

LaoHuli,

for HOT systems please consult KS :o

Some nice thing's you're building yourself.

What about extension cards? You take a mainboard with integrated grafics? Or do you take cards for half height?

A hot deal might be the Elitegroup MB K7S7AG

Has a SIS Xabre built in (not shared memory). Saw it for 31 Euros, no shit! I first looked at it when I was asked to assemble a computer for 300 Euro max and I insisted on a 2500+ and DVD burner. Project was postponed so I never got to see the board in reality.

Happy modding. You gonna add a screen to your briefputer? Otherwise you'll always have to find a monitor somewhere. Too bad you can't help KS out with his chipset fan...

And yes, I build desktops in a briefcase to overcome the laptop limitations, HD size, HD speed, Video card, DVD burner etc. Standard parts and desktop prices too. And I can Mod the heck out of the regular compnents as well.

If you want to post a picture of a briefcase PC, I would sure appreciate it. Sounds like a hack of a machine you're building!

Hi,

Well, went to Fortune and got myself a new motherboard (Gigabyte, CPU (AMD 2500+) and memory (512Mb DDR).

Then of course we found out that my power supply wasn't that great (only 250W), so they suggested I'd replace that... and might as well replace the entire case in that case. I did.

Everything installed, turn on the machine and Windows comes up with a blue screen. Guy tells me I need to format and re-install. I go, no fucking way!

He suggested copying the data to another drive first, I told him to just stick in another HD (80Gb).

All done, I go home, turn on the PC and start installing windows. I get as far as the formatting and it dies again!!!!!! Got some high pitched sound followed by shutting down.

Tried a different cable, disconnecting the other drives. Nothing.

Go back to the shop. They figured that the powersupply was too hot, replaced it and installed windows. Not a single problem there of course.

Now been home for about 2 hrs reinstalling crap and so far so good. CPU is running at 39C, but there is also a CPU2 (no clue what this is) which is at 67C :(

Voltages are still fucked! +5V is at +4.13V, Core at +1.71V and Aux at +2.72V. No clue what these should be, but they show up red now.

Anyway, spend 14,000 Baht and about 6 hrs and counting :(

Went from 1.3GHz / 256Mb to 2.5GHz / 512Mb, much nicer case, larger PS and an extra HD.

Sanuk!

KS,

what software you're using to read the temp and voltages?

Nice CPU you got yourself. With the new mainboard and different drivers there was a good chance the system wouldn't start without problems. A clean install is a good choice and a second harddrive for backups and data is never wrong.

Doesn't gigabyte ship hardware monitor software with it's mainboards? Easy Tune or something like that.

Core voltage for the 2500+ is 1,65 V. What's the model number of the board?

Archived