Upgrading

khunsanuk

Hi,

"what software you're using to read the temp and voltages?"

Little program called : "Hardware sensors monitor"

"A clean install is a good choice and a second harddrive for backups and data is never wrong."

Yeah, and I'll stick the 'old' 20Gb one in my wife's son's computer once I am done with it. Way too much HD space at the moment :)

"Doesn't gigabyte ship hardware monitor software with it's mainboards?"

Hmm, come to think of it I think so. Need to check the CD.

"Core voltage for the 2500+ is 1,65 V."

Okay, any suggestions on how I can bring this down then?

"What's the model number of the board?"

7N400E-L

Sanuk!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up until recently I had a Celeron 500 based machine with plenty of memory to keep it honest and had no problems with it... I do not see any problems wth Celerons per se. A 2.4 will be GREAT! Sure, a P4 is better, but you probably don't really need it. Lots of memory is the way to go - that keeps a machine honest.

Stick

Hi,

manual says Easy Tune 4 is packed with the mainboard for hardware monitoring (no overclocking possible on this board with Easy Tune 4).

You can also monitor these in BIOS. Enter BIOS (page 31, 32).

There you will see two menu options 'PC Health Status' and 'Frequency/Voltage Control'. (pages 50-52)

Enter 'PC Health Status' there you get the temp, voltage and fanspeed. Hope the voltages show ok there. You might enable CPU temp warning and CPU fan warning.

Enter 'Frequency/Voltages Control'.

There all three settings should be 'normal' unless you go for overclocking. In 'VCORE OverVoltage Control' you can raise the core voltage, unfortunately you can't lower it under normal. Please check if there's anything unusual.

current BIOs version is F9, if yours is older i sugget flashing it. (page 61).

Stick,

low memory forces paging, and this slows down every CPU. Even a celeron 500MHz with lots of memory will keep up with the 2,4 GHz celeron with Win XP and only 128 MB RAM.

What I don't like about celerons is that I can get at the same price an AMD Athlon XP that puts the celeron to shame (given the same amount of memory).

Although you are way beyond it now (if you are) given the choice between connecting to your ADSL modem with USB or a CAT 5 cable the modem manufacture is going to usually recommend to use the CAT 5 route if you have a network card. Ethernet over USB is not always reliable and you can have instability associated with the USB drivers.

The USB ADSL modems were meant to get consumers connected quickly if their computers didn't already have a network card but they aren't the best by a long shot. Maybe you have that on board with your new MB.

I wouldn't go beyond a 350watt power-supply unless you have a lot of discs and a monstrous graphics card. As was mentioned earlier these big powers supplies don't work very well delivery low power, in fact can run quite hot.

As much as 3% of network traffic is being handled by servers that run two discs and 10 fans with 180-watts power supplies another 10% on dual cpu machines with 12-14 fans 4 discs and usually 350-watt power supplies. Sure these machines don't run graphics (unless they have windows 2000/2003 enterprise) but the point is get what you need and not more. Hot computers don't last long and they tend to be unstable. This also applies to over-clocking leave that to the joy-stick grommets.

If anything slow the CPU down, runs cooler lasts longer, if the room where the computer is located has AC it makes a difference there too. I was under the impresssion that modifying the clock lock on AMD XPs is not as easy as it once was.

If anyone knows where you can get one of these cases (without the bits inside)I would love to know.

You do CAD and bought a celeron?

You are definitely the exception to the rule!

I don't know about cad, but the boost to Photoshop with identical hardware from celeron to pentium used to be on the order of over 20% (this was about 5-years ago when I tested this). All the guys I knew would have chosen a slightly slower pentium/athlon.

<<burp>>

Yeah, and I'll stick the 'old' 20Gb one in my wife's son's computer once I am done with it. Way too much HD space at the momen

hahahaha.......... no such thing as 'too much' drive space.. that's like too much money. :banghead:

Heck I got 15 gigs of stuff for you here that I downloaded for you. :neener: or did you forget already?

glad to see you got a decent system put together. and that clean install will be a blessing in the end........ although it does take some time to reinstall the programs you use. and to get all the updates, unless you use a slipstreamed disc. But now that you have joined the broadband world, it's not too bad. :applause:

Archived