sabaidee/sawadee not same?

pattaya127

My understanding, 'sabaidee' is used in Thailand in the context "sabaidee mai?' = Are you well?" . The other person may then answer 'sabaidee! (kop khun kap)'

In Lao language, 'sabaidee' is similar to the Thai 'sawatdee kap'. Since issaan people originally speak Lao, they may use both.

I haven't heard in thailand anyone say "sawatdee' without the krup/kap behind it.

In Lao, when you wish someone 'good luck', you usually follow 'chokdee' with 'dir', e.g. 'chokdee dir'.

Sawat Dee (Khrap/Kha) is the formal greeting, not much used upon leaving though.

Sabai Dee (Khrap/Kha) is stating that one is fine (feeling good).

Upon meeting the conversation could start as follows.

Sawat Dee Khrap, Khun Sabai Dee Mai?

Kha, Sabai Dee.

La Korn, Pai Korn (Khrap /Kha) are better used in cases of good bye.

[color:"red"] sabaidee K [/color] I agree with all post that is used to say "I am fine" or used in a question as "How are you? = Sabai dee mai?".

The word "sawad dee" is like all posts say is = "Hello", however, the intrinsic meaning is "Greetings, good luck to you".

The only time I heard the "Sabai dee" is used in the event to say good bye is, giving a blessing, my mother does it a lot, the sentence is "Kor hai you suk sabai dee na ja" (Ja is used instead of ka because she is much older than most people who visited her).

The "sabai dee" should never be used alone when saying good bye.

Jasmine

Hi Jasmine,

I've always thought "sabai" = comfortable. So "sabai dee mai" equates to "are you comfortable (feel good, do you?).

And that "sawat dee" = something like "are you prosperous"? Common meaning is "hello", but in real, means "are you prospering?" :dunno:

I also read somewhere that there are different departing greetings, depending on the situation. If you are the first to leave, then would be different from the second, or last, to leave. I know the following.

la gorn = good bye

Bai gorn = good bye

lao phop gun mai = see you later (meet later)

La tree sawat = good night

Wat dee (short for "sawat dee") = bye.

Phom ja ma mai = will come back later/return

Glap = return/come back (phom glap baan) = I return to house.

Awk = depart (as in a vessel. ie boat, bus).

Can add anything for me, or tell me where I might be wrong?

Thanks.

HT

Hi HT,

Lao Pop Gun Mai would rather be Rao .....

La Tree Sawat would likewise be Raa Tree Sawat.

Besides from the terms you mention, I usually hear

Juh Gan Mai

which is rather similar to Pop Gan Mai or

Pbai Laew Na

I am leaving already.

Sawasdee in the meaning goodbye is much used on the phone before hanging up. Much more so than face to face in an informal situation.

Phom ja ma mai

Kind of funny, because in my language we use the very same wording, but this expression doesn´t translate well into english if you try to translate it literally.

"I shall come new" = I shall pay you a new visit.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived