The Thai's and food?

Lusty

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lusty,

Judging by my own missus, it is perfectly normal. :(

The main purpose of us visiting LOS seems to be so that she can stuff herself with Seafood and Som Tham.

Add to that her hair dressing sessions, massage, manicure, pedicure, sauna, spa, dentist ... you name it. :doah:

Surprisingly she hasn´t put on any weight though although she has been going on like this for a month ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

The main purpose of us visiting LOS seems to be so that she can stuff herself with Seafood and Som Tham.

Add to that her hair dressing sessions, massage, manicure, pedicure, sauna, spa, dentist ... you name it. :doah:

Surprisingly she hasn´t put on any weight though although she has been going on like this for a month ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Throw in shopping to the mix of activities, and you just perfectly described the way my wife spent our 2 month holiday in Thailand. She mananged to gain over 5 Kilos on the trip and I would have thought that would slow her eating down as she is concious about the weight gain, but no.......

It would drive me crazy when we would eat a big dinner and 2 hours later she would be stuffing her face again ::.

Ranger

Only too true. When the wife goes upcountry for a visit, eating Isan food seems to be her top priority. When she returns, she brings back bags of food for herself and family in the area so they can stuff themselves to thier great delight. Then she complains that her jeans don't fit the same anymore...

In that respect, Thais are much the same as "westerners", only more so.

RickF

Ranger said:

It would drive me crazy when we would eat a big dinner and 2 hours later she would be stuffing her face again ::.

Ranger

Are you sure SHE ate a big dinner? Sometimes the ladies don't actually eat that much at one time and make up for it with more frequent feeding.

I wrote about this before, I think. We went to Ang Thong, for the first time to visit g/f's grandparents, with her immediate family in tow. First day we went to local morning market to buy food for the day, eating there, as well as buying. Then went on a day tour of wats/temples around Bang Sing, etc, eating at every stop. On the way back, stopped at restaurant in Ang Thong. WTF??? ::

15 minutes later, at house, all the food bought during the day was put out, and the charcoal grill lit up, for Tom Yum Goong. Oh...and from restaurant to house, stopped at roadside vendor in the middle of nowhere, for sup naaw mai, and som tam with baby black crab.

I swear to God, I couldn't believe it. Every spare second revolved around what the next meal would be, and if not actually eating, would be preparing for such.

But is the Thai way, to have food as a major focal point in life. A common greeting, instead of 'sawatdee', is "gin khao rue yang" (have you eaten yet?). Also many, many Thai idioms related to food...."spoiled rice, rotten fish" translates to a long-term relationship that has gone bad, etc.

Thai's, and food, are synonymous. I've never seen anything like it. And where they put it, i have no idea. While true they will eat small amounts all day long, I have seen many Thai's 'eat me under the table', and I'm 6'2''.

Wanna win a Thai girl's heart? Forget the sex, good looks, or money. Learn to prepare her favorite dish, just the way she likes it, and she will be yours, forever. :) She can do without that other stuff, but the true way to a Thai girl's heart, is through her stomach. Satisfy that, and she can/will never forget you. ::

Maybe better for 'food section', but what is that coconut square(?) soaked in whiskey, wrapped in a leaf to marinate in, called? Oh my God, was that good! These people know how to do it right. :up:

HT

meals is often just a way to bla bla away in Thai lingo with people likewise interested in this yakking hobby, can go on and on for hours and poor, poor, poor, poor, poor you HF if you ever live to experience this in your life often it can really make you fell terrible if there is no beer or if you have a hangover or want to get to somehwere to do someting else and do not want to run away and make gf/wife angry at you which makes more more yakking later on

boring big time! AH! I suddenly remember why its ex!

Archived