Would you boycott Thailand?

pattaya127

Boycott going there only. Again, hypothetically so, not asking to boycott Thailand myself, wondering about others.

I would boycott it called upon for a good reason. That will never happen anyway, as a mass movement.

It's Ok for the thais to ask for excuses from our ambassadors if we dress up a lamp with a Buddha Statue, and other things that attain to their perceived dignity, but no problem insulting our sensibilities selling Bin Laden T-shirts and Nazi helmets. Anything for a buck.

Just a tiny example of unreciprocated sensitivity, which is nothing in itself, as i find all this childish, but some members see a bit more ominous signs concerning thais attitudes towards farangs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

""still I believe in intercultural exchange as a way of teaching and learning fom people otherways foreign to you."

I stole the following on another forum, in a thread about the Q bar raid:

"This country sucks in so many ways, but it is also good in so many ways, I wonder how many of the 'bad ways' need to be added to the list to tip the balance and make it not worth living here.

Maybe this racist country wants it that way, maybe they are scared and know that to many mixed kids in the future might mean there will finally be some brains in the country and god help that thought."

Intercultural exchange ::

Well, having read the report about the Q-bar raid, I find it disgusting that they treat grown up people like teenage kids who are supposed to learn how to go out and how not.

But then again, its something that happens with special frequency towars the upcoming bangkok governor election. Theres always a reason for that bull...I guess.

The passport check would certainly be another point that needs to get into the public, also the thai public.

So imho, if you get stopped by the bois in brown and they want to see your passport, it should suffice to go to their station the following day and show it to them. After all, who brings their passport with em for a night out.

I dont.

"After all, who brings their passport with em for a night out.

I dont."

Well' I've learnt to take it along in Thailand, I have seen girls 30+ turned down of discos and even whole street(silom soi 4, but I guess RCA would be the same)because they didn't have their passport. Besides, a male friend, 30y o, westerner, told me he was denied entry several times the last year because he didn't have his book. :(

No,

I wouldn't boycott. Not until things got really out of control. It seems the areas that are getting the most attention (red light districts) are not even available in other cities/countries. For some political piss-testing and rules to go in effect, in the big picture is fairly minor.

The "anti-farang" sentiment that is rearing it's head seems to coincide with the increased numbers of visitors (with money) that I (personally) have witnessed treating the 'locals' like dirt.

NOW THE BIG REASON: The 'wordly' moral decay seems to have an adverse effect on just about everywhere. From Australia to Asia the youth (and those not so young) have seemed to adopt the idealogy (American) of entitlement. 'I deserve this and that' and if I don't get it 'my lawyer will sue'. Not ONLY Americans, mind you. As this 'entitlement' attitude seems well-seeded in England and elsewhere.

Now, no flames for this as I am not anti-american. But I am anti-'typical'-american. You know who I speak of.

whew, what a rant.

Taking this all into account, I am an idiot and none of this should be taken seriously.

BTW, who wants to meet in September? I only have a couple of PM's so far? I really am not THAT much of an arsehole.

cheers!

"Captain Charles Cunningham Boycott was an Englishman working in Ireland. In the 1870s he was farming at Loughmask in County Mayo and serving as a land agent for an absentee English landlord, Lord Earne. This was the time of the campaign organized by the Irish Land League for reform of the system of landholdings. In September 1880, protesting tenants demanded that Captain Boycott give them a substantial reduction in their rents. He refused. Charles Stuart Parnell, the President of the Land League, suggested in a speech that the way to force Boycott to give way was for everyone in the locality to refuse to have any dealings with him. Laborers would not work for him, local shops stopped serving him (food had to be brought in from elsewhere for him and his family), and he even had great trouble getting his letters delivered. In the end, his crops were harvested that autumn through the help of fifty volunteers from the north of the country, who worked under the protection of nine hundred soldiers.

The events aroused so much passion that his name became an instant byword. It was first used - in our modern sense of collective and organized ostracism - in the Times of London in November 1880, even while his crops were still being belatedly harvested; within weeks it was everywhere. It was soon adopted by newspapers throughout Europe, with versions of his name appearing in French, German, Dutch and Russian. By the time of the Captain's death in 1897, it had become a standard part of the English language. "

I would prefer Geoff Boycott though! As an idol!

Cheers!

check_bin_krap said:

When I hear Boycott I think of Geoff?

I took my friend's little boy (he was 8 years old) to watch a test match at Headingly a few years ago and Geoffrey Boycott was there commentating for a TV channel. After the day's play, me and the wee man were hanging around in the car park so he could get autographs and have his photo taken with some of his heroes. All the players were friendly and obliging, :hug: and the young chap was having the time of his life :)

We were just about to go home when a noticeably 'well-refreshed' :drunk: Boycott in hair-weave disguising trademark panama hat staggered out of the exit towards his sports car. My wee friend rushed over to him and said, politely, 'Can I have your autograph please Geoff?' Boycott looked down at the boy, pulled a face like someone had just farted under his nose, and snarled in an aggressive rasp: 'It's Sir Geoffrey to you, young man...' With which he got into his motor and sped off, leaving the little boy on the verge of tears, his day ruined. :( Honestly, the boy was afraid. Boycott was out of order and, if he'd hung about, I'd have pulled the arrogant cunt up on his conduct. ::

I might add that my friend's child is black: it might help to confirm, in board members who know their 'cricket', a well-known deplorable side of Boycott's already questionabe character. :down:

jack :help:

Ever hear of a commentator called Tony Greig, FJ ? For some bizarre reason, we Aussies inherited the bastard when his playing career ended (talk about salt into the wound ..), and have had to endure his thick SA accent and racist jibes ever since.

Case in point: slow day at cricket, so cameraman zeroes in on happy couple outside a nearby church. Noticing that the bride is a Filipina, Greig asks his fellow commentators 'Do you think they had her flown in for the wedding ?'. Red faces all round, but he just laughed - racism is alive and well in sports, particularly cricket.

Archived