Q Bar raided

Bangkok Post claims in the Monday issue that 373 people were tested for drugs Sunday morning at the Q bar. 2 women tested positive for drugs and 104 falangs did not have passports.

I wonder where all of these falangs got the idea they did not need to carry their passports?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ultras67 said:

wonder which pockets the unspecified fines went into.

also wonder if this is going to be a new tactic, "if we cant get them for drugs we will get them for passports". Seem to remember most of the last "raids" were drugs only.

Funny you say this. IIRC, The article in the Post quoted the police as saying that they were told to make arrests and when they couldn't find drugs, they went for the folks without passports.

Thailand is fast becoming a joke with these sort of antics going on.

Do they really think that they will encourage tourism by harrassing tourists with drug tests and then dragging them to the police station because they failed to carry their passports with them, and probably fining them as well.

What a joke!

I will never carry my passport with me because if i lose it it will be a much bigger problem for me.

Part of the attraction of Thailand over the years has been the nightlife as well as the weather , food , beaches etc.

The nightlife is important thou and many people who are on holidays do not want to go to bed at 9.00pm. There are only so many temples and beaches and shopping that a person can do.

There are beaches in other countries like Indonesia with lower prices and plenty of P4P and plenty of late night venues where tourists are welcomed and not harassed.

If the crackdown extends to Pattaya I wouldn't hesitate in changing my destinatation.

373 misinformed people!!

The didn't know a gorgeous french model was flying off the following afternoon, and all her also gorgeous friends went to celebrate that... in Mystic!!! Had a blast, although too many of her gorgeous friends were male ...

Those urine test remind me of a mate last week, we were chatting up some decent freelancer at night, but he was saying he fucked his wife too much and had no mood for more sex. He followed us in PB anyway, and soon was naked as Adam, and offering the girl to piss on her. That's what happen when he's on low power mode I understood, perhaps something to do out of those collective piss test :o

Hi,

most countries in the world require that foreigners must carry passports, so I can't see the problem with Thailand doing the same!

Actually all persons in Thailand over a certain age much carry a ID - and so do many other countries!

elef

"wonder where all of these falangs got the idea they did not need to carry their passports?"

Like someone said it's hell of a hassle if you loose your passport when travelling. I've never carried my passport in any country I've visited, it's always in the hotel safe. And definitely not going to carry it with me at night if I'll ever come to Thailand again.

I haven't heard a single good news from Bangkok for months. The nightlife was Bangkok's major attraction for me and if this bullshit going on continues I'm not going to visit the city anymore. If coming to Thailand I can not see a reason why spend time in Bangkok instead of Pattaya before heading to islands.

Like someone said it's hell of a hassle if you loose your passport when travelling. I've never carried my passport in any country I've visited, it's always in the hotel safe. And definitely not going to carry it with me at night if I'll ever come to Thailand again.
Exactly the point. Irrespective of what the law says or doesn't say, tourists keep their passports in the safe at the hotel because it is safer there. Few people carry their passports with them when they are out drinking in a dark bar. Everyone knows this, including the Thai police.

What is so troubling about these reports is that it sounds like the police are simply looking for an excuse to harrass and extort money from tourists. If they don't test positive for drugs - and it appears that only 2 out of more than 100 might have tested positive - find something else to extort some money. This goes well beyond the reasonable bounds of any legitimate campaign against drugs. It sounds like extortion, pure and simple.

This is really making Thailand look bad.

Archived