More Spoons Please

Torneyboy

As you know Thais love their food..we have at least three dishes plus rice at any one meal time.

Just three of us with little bowls of sauces...... chilli etc.

Often have other thais drop in for dinner without notice..no surprise there ::

My wife finds no problem in whipping up more food for the ""guests"

However they proceed to dip the spoon in the sauce that they use to eat with....at this point i kick my wife under the table ..she then gets spoons for all the bowls.

Last night was not much different ..except i couldn't get a kick in..she was too far away...so i get up and come back with a fist full of spoons and bang them on the tables in the middle of the lot of them...point made...got some looks from some that i had not met before ::

Maybe just me "falang".... but annoys me ...hope they learn for next time.

You guys?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly it's never really bothered me.

You would definitely freak out at an Ethiopian restaurant. The food is served on a large communal flatbread plate. Everyone rips off pieces of the bread and dips it into the various curries and other dishes. It's not that different than the Isaan tradition of dipping balled up khao nee-ow into dishes. I wonder who has cleaner hands on average after a trip to the hawng nam, Thais or farang?

Actually given the Thai fastidiousness over hygiene and their perception of farang as the unwashed masses I'm surprised they let you eat with them. :neener:

Brink15 said:

I wonder who has cleaner hands on average after a trip to the hawng nam, Thais or farang?

The farang would be my bet. The Thais are well known for taking plenty of showers but are poor with hand washing after the toilet. Many times I see them march straight back out of the toilet passing the wash basin by.

However they proceed to dip the spoon in the sauce that they use to eat with.....

CLose family OK, guests HELL NO!

I'd be annoyed as well TB, I 'm sure they got your point.

Using the eating spoon for every sauce is not uncommon for many families but definitely not acceptable in every home and they should be aware of that.

Lack of manners? respect?

Hopefully they know it doesn't go in your house.

Cultural conflicts. We have problems with some traditional Thai cultural beliefs but Thais have problems with our cultural beliefs also.

When in Thailand, I go along with the Thai cultural belief but basck in falangland, I go with the falang way of ding things. But, in your case, you are in falangland but are surrounded by Thais - what do you do? I guess - follow the majority.

By getting upset about this only fuels the gap beteen both cultures. Look at the dirty hands that harvested the food and helped deliver it to the markets. Think of the person unloading the truck, with sweat possibly dripping from his forehead, as he handled the food. Looking at things from this perspective makes double dipping look not so bad. I hope you can come to some kind of resolution.

"When in Thailand, I go along with the Thai cultural belief but basck in falangland, I go with the falang way of ding things. But, in your case, you are in falangland but are surrounded by Thais - what do you do? I guess - follow the majority."

He's in his house and may do whatever he feels like. If he moves to a place where it's customary to eat with hands from the same pan you believe he's forced to comply just because he lives in such place? Of course not!

Archived