More Spoons Please

Torneyboy

LOL, good one. I think Thai's are smart making their dishes fit a spoon so you don't need a knife on the table. It's when they do farang food that it gets kind of funny. Ever watched a Thai at KFC? They are all tediously sawing away at their fried chicken with a fork and spoon!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your problem is one that many falangs have when marrying Thai women - culture differences. You are married now, but for those thinking of getting married, look at their eating customs, etc., you might think twice about marriage.

As for your existing problem, as has been aluded to, it is your house ... but that does not solve the problem. Being your house, your wife may consider it part her house also.

I would reccommend that you try accepting some of the Thai customs. This will strenghten a new foundation for your family to grow upon. If you do not do this, I feel you might see this as the catyalyst for more problems. In marriages - there is give and take on both sides.

MightyMouse said:

I think your problem is one that many falangs have when marrying Thai women - culture differences. You are married now, but for those thinking of getting married, look at their eating customs, etc., you might think twice about marriage.

As for your existing problem, as has been aluded to, it is your house ... but that does not solve the problem. Being your house, your wife may consider it part her house also.

I would reccommend that you try accepting some of the Thai customs. This will strenghten a new foundation for your family to grow upon. If you do not do this, I feel you might see this as the catyalyst for more problems. In marriages - there is give and take on both sides.

Hi true enough what you say!

Yes she quite rightly says the house is hers to share as well.

My whole point was i don't like the double dipping of food into bowls of sauces that others have to share...just get some more spoons and all is fine...which is happening now.

Re marriage..we are in the food forum :D...however i agree.

Marry a lovely Thai lady and you must learn to cope with the cultural differences...which we work at btw.

The cultural things were not in my mind while we were getting to know each other in the early months...just whole lot of fun learning the language and communicating to know more about each other.

Now it is something that needs working on all the time ...or as you say could lead to problems later ..which neither of us want.

• 1 month later...

Sunday we were at a Thai Restaurant (a new one ) my wife likes to try all the new ones to see what they are doing.(spying really)

Any way ..sticky rice was ordered by a couple of guests and it arrived without a serving spoon/fork...all other dishes had servers btw.

They just used their fingers to take some....other tables were doing the same thing.

Asked my wifes sister why?.."that is what Thai people do"...with sticky rice...

Me the only falang...again..so could not see what falangs thought or did with stick rice.

Archived