Minimum Age of Consent for Sex - by Country

think_too_mut

Hi Adik,

I think Coss is right - its about staying on the right side of the 'line', and knowing where that line is in each country. Blubbering 'I thought she was 17 !' when the legal age of consent is 18 probably wont win one a great deal of sympathy.

That said, we've probably exhausted the issue, and I apologise for taking it down the track to Hicksville.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The age of consent in Thailand has always been a gray area. No one seems to know for sure the correct age. It has always been listed as 15 but as other posters have pointed out, you'll be in big trouble if you shag a 15 year old girl. It's best just to check their ID's and hope they are real ID's. If they are younger than 19 then move on. It's about all we can do to protect ourselves. I know this can be difficult at times, after a few cocktails you see the most beautiful girl you've ever seen dancing, bring her back to the room, you are intensly horney and then discover that she is only 17. Or have so many cocktails that you can't remember the Thai year or perform simple mathmetics. It's difficult but you just have to send her on her way and get another. The risk is small that you will caught but it's a real risk and it could ruin your life.

CC wrote: "The age of consent in Thailand has always been a GRAY ( my caps) area."

Come come Cumcannon..I must respectfully disagree. I believe that if you search the web you will find.:

15 is the age of consent unless there is prostitution in which case the bar is raised to 18. Does anybody ( authoritatively?) disagree with this? Sometimes it fucks peoples heads that, since prostitution is illegal how come its practice is accepted by the law, but Thais dont seem to mind and you might console yourself anyway with the thought that "your case" probably wont make it to the supreme court!.

Another apparent anomally which also appears to bother Thais little, is the fact that a girl can work in a bar at 18 but cannot enter as a customer until the ripe old age of 20. ( This fucks my head quite frankly even if IP is under 20??)

Where pray is the greyness in the above?

There is another fly in the ointment. Thai's do their ages differently than us. Their age changes January 1st, not their birthday. So someone who says they are 20 can still be a 19 year old in our terms.

a girl can work in a bar at 18 but cannot enter as a customer until the ripe old age of 20

Just like night spots assuring patrons are 20+, over the last few years there has also been a crackdown to assure BG's are 20+. Yes, there are still disco's where a under 20 Thai might be able to slip in under the radar; same is true with BG's.

ER wrote "There is another fly in the ointment. Thai's do their ages differently than us. Their age changes January 1st, not their birthday. So someone who says they are 20 can still be a 19 year old in our terms."

Categorically the first time I have heard this, which is not to dispute your good faith or correctness. Can anyone else confirm this?

For example IP was 19 last December birthday-wise but she was "officially" 19 when January 2004 or January 2003?

As for; "over the last few years there has also been a crackdown to assure BG's are 20+." ..seems like an 'enduring board myth' in my experience...there are girls all over Bangkok "working" in the window between 18 and 20...

Art wrote:""We have a lady here whose age only seems to increment on January 1st - every leap year

If she is in her 30's, its been a fucking hard life."..

suppose you meant : "its been a LONG fucking hard life" which, if she were a nun, would only be partially true.....

As for; "over the last few years there has also been a crackdown to assure BG's are 20+." ..seems like an 'enduring board myth' in my experience...there are girls all over Bangkok "working" in the window between 18 and 20...

It's true, but let me give you a comparison. Yaba is illegal and getting drug crackdowns, but that doesn't mean you can't find it. They are cracking down on <20 BG's, but like yaba they still exist. Like yaba, hooking up with BG's under 20 may carry harsh consequences compared to no issues at all with 20+ BGs. I did know 4 BGs under 20 working in the 3 primary gogo districts and every single one of them was netted in crack downs last year and put to pasture. If you think it's just legend, then think about all the bar closings over the last several years. I don't have any stats, but would think underrage BGs is a significant proportion.

Do not take my word on Thai's using calendard year to define age or on BG's needing to be 20. Just ask them. I've gotten consistent replies on these in my experience. But I'm certainly open to new information on this too.

Dont know anything about illegal substances and feel we are steering this thread pretty close to the wind....but when you write "hooking up with BG's under 20 may carry harsh consequences compared to no issues at all with 20+ BGs." I feel this is verging on disinformation, because, to the best of my knowledge there are no consequences to linking up with eighteen plus women , harsh or otherwise, beyond consistent wallet-shock.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, bars have not been penalty closed for employing 18 to 20 year olds. Do you even know of one case?

Escape Rabbit are you raking the coals here?

Hi!

Incidentally you are dead wrong. Although prostitution itself is illegal it is not illegal to go with prostitutes. The law was changed some years ago, I think it was 1996. I knew a bar owner in Pattaya then and he showed me a leaflet distributed by the police. Going with a prostitute under the age of 18 is subject to prosecution. The age of consent however is lower. I forget if it was 15 or 16. A farang however would have a hard time explaining to the cops that he has a normal relation with a 16 year old girl except mayby if he is in the same age.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived