Minimum Age of Consent for Sex - by Country

think_too_mut

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Escape Rabbit said:

There is another fly in the ointment. Thai's do their ages differently than us. Their age changes January 1st, not their birthday.

Eh? Not legally they do not. I cannot speak for some old Chinese( or Thai?) customs to which you refer (they do exist).

I do know that, for example, my daughters got their Thai ID card immediately after their actual calendar 15th birthday, not after Jan 1st. And believe me, if they could have gotten it sooner, they would have. The ID card is a rite of passage to adulthood much the same a driving license is to a kid in the States.

Also, legal determination of age in Thailand is by the Julian AD calendar, not the Thai BE one (that is, Jan 1st is the year change, not April 14).

Cheers,

SD

ALHOLK said:Incidentally you are dead wrong. Although prostitution itself is illegal it is not illegal to go with prostitutes.
Uh, maybe true but that is not what I said. I said exactly: "Prostition is illegal in the Kingdom, therefore there is no legal age for prostitutes." What I said is 100% true. My comment had nothing to do with those who patronize prostitutes. Another subject entirely.

rompandadam said: Their age changes January 1st, not their birthday................. Can anyone else confirm this?

Hi romp,

I have come across this in the way they quote their age. Oficially, as others have said, this is not so. But a few times when a TG has quoted her age based on the age she is on her birthday that year, not on her age last birthday.

Khwai

Hi,

"But a few times when a TG has quoted her age based on the age she is on her birthday that year, not on her age last birthday."

This is a lot more accurate. Thais do not change their age on Jan 1st, but do count slightly different. Basically a person saying he/she is 20 means that he/she is in his/her 20th year, and at his/her next birthday that 20th year will be full. At which point they will be considered 20 in our reckoning.

See, clear as mud :)

Sanuk!

>>believe that if you search the web you will find.:

15 is the age of consent unless there is prostitution in which case the bar is raised to 18. <<

I did 2 searches and I got the same result :

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

15 years old. No mention of prostitution and the reason I said it's a gray area is that prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Maybe I've searched in the wrong place but perhaps you can point me to a site that indicates the minimum age of a girl we can shag for money in the Kingdom.

Archived