Ploenchit Plaza Audio Shops Gone........

redwood13

It appears all the audio shops in Ploenchit Plaza - Suk at Soi 2 across from the Marriott - have closed down. The dealers I talked to there last week said all or maybe most all will reopen in something called Eastern Plaza later this month.

Eastern Plaza is across the road from the Central World Plaza (new name for the WTC) and I'm told it's near the Big C which is behind the buildings facing directly on Ratchadamri Road.

-redwood

I was at IT Mall in Fortune Hotel complex last month and was suprised to see a large number of audio dealers there. Seemed to be lots of high end used audio equipment for sale in addition to many shops that did repairs. It is in the area between the Tesco Lotus and Fortune Hotel on Floor 2 and 3 I think. It is also very convenient to reach now by subway which stops just outside the door. Think it is the Rama 9 stop but all subway people should know the Fortune Hotel and can advise if you that is the correct subway stop name.

gene1944 said:

I was at IT Mall in Fortune Hotel complex last month and was suprised to see a large number of audio dealers there. Seemed to be lots of high end used audio equipment for sale in addition to many shops that did repairs.

Thanks very much for mentioning IT Mall. I meant to go there when I was up in BKK last week but ran out of time as it was just a day outing. Haven't been to IT in over a year and at that time I don't remember seeing much in the way of audio gear but then I was looking to put a new computer together so may have just overlooked it.

Yes, the subway makes Ratchada very accessible from lower Suk whereas before it was a PIA to reach.

-redwood

I can't figure out how the place makes money. I know alot of people whom live near by use the market in the basement and there is a big banking office near to the walk way over to the J.W. Marriott but thats about it execpt for the fast food places on the street level. Wonder if college girls are lucking there? Could easily slip them over to the J.W. for a quickie!

• 2 months later...

Thailand is a strange place for audio. A bit of a hi-fi buff myself, I see either cheap copies/low range and extremely high-end equipment. Look at Ploenchit Plaza with Mark Levinson, Copeland, Sonus Faber and also WTC with McIntosh! I've never yet seen a serious customer. Some shops in Fortune have some Thai made valve amps they enthusiastically demoed. I'd love to say they sounded sweet, but it was bloody awful.

I'm in the market for some mid-range electrostatics and a Krell soon but there seems to be no second hand market and no dealers, so I might try and import them direct (or hide in the suitcase?!)

Archived