BKK's nightlife is dead - exagerated?

voodoo31

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was out Friday night too, pity not in nana heh? Gadfly, they where doing a show, good bar, great show, naked bodies oil etc.

But whats the point, you don't seem to beleive it!

NOW - I do say it was probably the only show in the only bar that did a show friday night, but its happening,

Oh fuck it!

DOG

Care to explain me the whing regarding the earlier closing times and why it has to be 2 AM or later, when there are imposing closing times in most major countries over the world ?
Easy; I can think of seven reasons off the top of my head.

1. When a government imposes a restriction on business or human activity, shouldn't the burden be on the government to justify that restriction by demonstrating that it necessary to acheive some desiriable goal? This is a pretty basic principle, unless you subsribe to the authoratrian view that the State is presumed right unless proven wrong. Consequently the burden is on those who contend that bars should be closed at 1 am to justify that closing time. What's the justification for a closing at 1 am?

2. Plenty of other countries have later closing times. Singapore, hardly a bastion of personal freedom and certainly well ordered, has later closing times. I can think of plenty of places with later closing times, including Hong Kong and even California. When I was in Spain several months back on holiday I noticed that they don't even begin their meals until slightly before the closing times for Bangkok bars.

3. Tourism is important for the Thai economy, and tourists - by definition - don't have to go to work the next day. They like a relaxed environment where they go stay out late. Thailand is the type of destination that tendx to attract people who want a vibrant nightlife. And we are not just talking about p4p tourists.

4. Alot of money was spent on places like Q Bar, Club Mystique, etc., on the reasonable expectation that they would be allowed to stay open until at least 2 am. I am not sure how these places will survive with the earlier closing times. It is not fair to the owners of those places.

5. It's mai sanuk. Unless you are only interested in a quick shag, it takes the wind of Bangkok's nightlife. Ironically, an earlier closing times harms the more sophisticated parts of Bangkok's nightlife than the seamier sides. That more sophisticated side had just started to flourish over the past several years. With the current policies, that sophisticated nightlife will die off and we will end up with a city of cheap brothels that close early. If you are tourist who only wants to come here to get laid cheap, I guess that's great. If you live here, it sucks.

6. It fuels corruption.

7. Bangkok wants to call itself a world class city. In this part of the world, world class cities don't close at 1 am

Gadfly,

euhhhh..... you missed 1 more point : take me out for a beer :beer:

Anyway, some points thought :

1. early closing : why was it done in the UK ? to curb alcoholism..... so the state does know better, no ?

2. other places = same as item 1

3. been done to death, not sure all tourists need to stay out that late, I dont.

4. they knew in advance they had to close by 2 AM, quite a weak argument, no ? its like saying that you own a gun, so you have a right to shoot ?

5. thats your POV, mine is different..... I dont need to drink all night, and I want a creative morning after as well....

6. funny, care to explain me how, any fundation at all ??? :p

7. weak : look at London, world class or not ??? and closing hours imposed as well.....

Anyway, its fun arguing, at least you dont have a curfew here :D

BB

Yes Lusty, and London closing hours are considered very tough by european standards.

Not such a thing in Paris and there seem to be lots of cities on the continent where one can party in legal clubs from friday evening to monday afternoon. Been to several of them for sure.

24/7 seem to be the right opening times for bars IMO, let the people decide when they wanna go out

[color:"green"] 1. early closing : why was it done in the UK ? to curb alcoholism..... so the state does know better, no ? [/color]

Early closing lead to binge drinking. The UK has increased pub hours. Look at Madrid, Rome, Athens, Amsterdam, etc where you can party all night long. Many places do not even get busy until after midnight.

1. early closing : why was it done in the UK ? to curb alcoholism..... so the state does know better, no ?

Oh, so the UK should be held out as the state with the true knowlege of how people should behave and consume alcohol? The state doesn't know better and there are too many other major cities supporting late closings for your argument to hold water.

2. other places = same as item 1

Wrong. Care to tell us what other major cities are closing down at 1:00?

3. been done to death, not sure all tourists need to stay out that late, I dont.

They have a place for people like you, it's called Leisure Village in South Florida. And, you would feel that your lack of need to stay out past 1:00 is a reasonable justification?

4. they knew in advance they had to close by 2 AM, quite a weak argument, no ? its like saying that you own a gun, so you have a right to shoot ?

Sorry, that's not true either. Groups invest big money in these night spots. The investments are based on projections with a bulk of the revenue coming in in the late hours. Take one hour off closing times and it puts a HUGE dent in the ability of these places to make money. While it could be said that it's not a "right" to stay open, the government is doing a huge disservice to investors and business owners who opened based on a reasonable assumption of operating hours.

5. thats your POV, mine is different..... I dont need to drink all night, and I want a creative morning after as well....

You should think about becoming the next dictator of Iraq, then you could rationalize laws based on what you need and don't need.

6. funny, care to explain me how, any fundation at all ???

Try thinking about it again.

7. weak : look at London, world class or not ??? and closing hours imposed as well.....

Hmmm, what else is London doing that other cities around the world have failed to see?

Archived