property rights and marriage

The age old question, but worth asking again. If a foreign male marries a Thai female, will she lose rights to property?

Long story short, I am an American resident of Thailand (14 years) and plan to marry a Thai girl soon. As much as I trust her family, I do not want her to lose rights to have property. I have heard many an opinion on this subject - if anyone has solid info, it would be most appreciated.

Also, congrats on the new board - Delphi is part of a disturbing trend and it is refreshing to see there are ways around it.

The Frog Patrol

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my understanding the farang husband has to sign a document where he states that the property is bought by his wife from her money and that he has no rights whatsoever on the property. In that case the thai wife can keep her property.

Does anyone know of any websites with a little more info on this? I know the Phuket Gazette website, www.phuketgazette.net, has a section on Thai law. I had heard the same thing about the change in 99' but as with all things Thai, it's better to make sure.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. My wife just got her permanent resident status in the states and is thinking about becoming a citizen, which would really f-up our retirement plans.

She thinks she can have dual nationality, but I don't think it would work.

Brink15

I don't know if the U.S. will allow dual citizenship since I am Canadian, we allow it here, I am pretty sure the Thai's don't allow it, but if you don't tell them how would they know. I do know that if a Thai Lady is married to a farang she can buy property but it has to be with her money. How much they check up on this I don't know. To avoid any problems, I had my land which was in another Thai's name, put into my wife's name before we got married. If you put the land in your wife's name, make sure you lease it back for 30 years, because if she dies before you, the property does not go to you, but to your wife's family, and that could cause problems if you don't have the lease. Samuigeorge.

SG,

Thanks very much for the info. I really appreciate the advice on the lease. My wife's family are great and they have taken very good care of me, but one can't predict the future. Unless you're a Mohr doo. :)

We have a lot on our plate at the moment, so buying something now is not an option. Actually we need to buy a house here first. What with our little luek krung on the way.

My wife had a dream of a diamond ring, so that means its going to be a girl. "Uhhh, right honey. Whatever you say."

I'm thinking about opening a new bank account in my wife's name, maybe with Bangkok Bank. If the Baht would only stabilize. I was told they now have some form of on-line banking so I could check the funds. If we use that money to buy the property we should be OK. Then again TIT.

Thanks again.

SG,

Thanks, I've been to Thaifalang quite a few times. Very good info. I spend probably 80% of my forum time here (or on the old board) and 10% each on Nanapong and Thaifalang.

If I can't move to Thailand again (right now), I'll just import all of Thailand over here. Well, unfortunately not ALL of Thailand.

I've got to get a job that requires travel.

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: Brink15 ]

Archived