property rights and marriage

To Samuigeorge.

My understanding re US and dual citizenship.

US does not specifically disallow dual citizenship. Although I beleive there is something in what you sign or swear to upon applying for citizenship that states you will take up arms against any country to defend the US. I beleive this goes for Green card/ permanent resident as well.

However the US can not destroy another countries passport. so it is really down to the other country as to whether they allow someone to keep their citizenship as well as that of US. India does not UK does.

I am sure the mindset of US officials is that once you have a US passport/ citizenship whyt would you want that of another country.

Same principles with US citizens anfd overseas bank/ investment accounts which were the subject of a change in the tax reporting laws this year.

Why would someone need to heve monies/investments in accounts outside of the US if there was not something funny going on

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two thoughts:

1. Remember that the present King of Thailand was born in New York, USA, and is technically a US citizen by birth. Keep that in mind when you consider how Thailand would view dual citizenship.

2. My son was born at Bumrungrad last May. His mother is Thai, we were married, and mother and son both have my surname. I registered his birth at the US Embassy, applied for and received his US passport, and also a US Social Security number. He is a dual citizen. Thailand "officially" does not know that - as far as Thailand is concerned, he is Thai citizen by birth. I doubt that there are any legal distinctions between dual citizenship for a child, or for an adult spouse.

To Peesooahbkk:

The King was born in Massachusetts. He could have been an American citizen if he had asked to be one, but I guess he didn't. cool.gif" border="0

I stand corrected. See: http://www.kanchanapisek.or.th/biography/index.en.html

I also found where I made the mistake. In a Thai Airways biographical special publication about the king, there is a photo taken in New York City where the adult king is being introduced to two old farang ladies - who, it turns out, were the nurses that attended his birth. It does cite that birth as being at Mt. Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, MA - and I somehow mixed that up with Auburn, NY.

Originally posted by phiketpete:

[QB]To Samuigeorge.

My understanding re US and dual citizenship.

US does not specifically disallow dual citizenship.

US allows dual citizenship. there are several "requests" made of US citizens to technically "keep" their US citizenship unquestioned.

1. Do not vote in the other country

2. Whenever you enter or leave the US you are supposed to use your US Passport, not the other country.

there might be others (ie military service) but I do not know and I dont know if the above are enforced.

I think that #1 is intended to show that you are not revoking your US citizenship. #2 is probably so you dont screw up immigration's computer files by indicating an alien overstay in America.

My sister is a dual Canadian-USA citizen. What happened is my parents (both Canadian citizens) worked in Baltimore for a few years, where my sister was born. Soon after, they returned to Canada, where all of us grew up. My sister is recognized as a Canadian citizen under Canadian law because both our parents are Canadians. She is a recognized as a USA citizen under USA law because she was born on their territory.

This is a common scenario among Canadians - going to the USA, making babies, and coming back. There is no dispute that my sister is a Canadian while in Canada, and an American while in the USA. Where the dispute, if any, my lie is will the government of each country recognize the dual citizenship. As Sammigeorge mentioned, Canada does recognize it. So, while in Canada, my sister is a dual citizen. What is uncertain is, is my sister also a dual citizen in the USA as well?

This has been a moot issue with my sister until a couple of years ago, when her husband got a job offer in California and accepted it. As soon as they moved, she when to the INS office, had her USA citizenship confirmed, got her USA passport, etc. This saved her quite a bit of hassle. Also my brother-in-law, because he can use his marriage to a USA citizen to get his green card (we tease him by saying he married my sister only for this reason!).

This dual citizenship question could be important to my sister now in certain rare situations. For example, if she was accused of a serious crime while in the USA, her access to consular assistance from my government would depend on the USA recognizing my sister's dual citizenship.

Actually, an incident similiar to this came up recently. There was a Chinese who immigrated to Canada several years ago and became a Canadian citizen. He then returned to China (entering on his not-yet-expired Chinese passport). He got involved in Falun Gong activities, and was busted. We considered him a Canadian, but the Chinese government said, by virture of entering on his Chinese passport, he was declaring himself to be Chinese. Officially, China does not recognize dual citizenship. Had they processed him as if he had no ties to a foreign country, he likely would have got a 3-year sentence in jail. But our government, considering him a Canadian, put some diplomatic heat on the Chinese, and he was released after a few months.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I think dual citizenship is a very grey area. It comes down to what extent a country will recognize the ties of person to another country. When this happens, as in the Chinese example above, politics and diplomacy come into play. I don't know how Thai law works, but I suspect that a Thai with ties to a foreign country may get a bit different treatment under law if they had ties to another country - like being a dual citizen, having permanent residence in a foreign country, or being married to a foreigner.

JG

Froggo,

Glad you found that useful.

Once in a while I can come up with something that makes sense to somebody. laugh.gif" border="0

You might want to check out signing up as a gazetteer. One of the bennies is that it gives you access to another section where you can pose questions, anonymously, that are answered by Thai government officials.

Gene + Phiketpete,

Great info. Two questions:

a) How likely is it that Thailand could ever find out about the other nationality? - Obviously baring the person actually telling them.

B) What to do with the two passports? - Could the stamps be scrutinized? - Example: The dual national uses the US passport to leave the US and the Thai passport to enter Thialand. What problems, if any, might arise?

Brink

I wouldn't advise using one passport to leave a country and another to enter LOS.

A "similar" thing happened with my old passport:- I used the services of a Visa agency to get a Non-immigrant "B" visa. This is what happened..... Passport flies out of the country to Honolulu....visa attached there....comes back and is stamped in at Don Muang No out stamp and no in and out of US stamps. When trying to leave via Sadao to get into Malaysia immigration guy goes apeshit and needs 3000 baht to turn a blind eye. They are sharper than they look and are well used to scrutinising in/out chains.

I think the same fate might befall a holder of two passports, but more than 3000 I'd bet to fix it.

Archived