Visit for 30 days...then what?

Maybe those out here can help....

I have intentions of visiting Bangkok for a 30 day stay...but if I wish to stay longer...like another month or two...what are my options. I heard about a Visa Run from the other board, but it was shut down before I could get an answer... crazy.gif" border="0

If I do a Visa run...is it an extension of 30, 60 or 90 days? Thanks to all!

Sammy,

Depends on where you go and what you do. If you go to one of the borders, Cambodian, Malaysian, etc., and come back you get another 30 day automatically. Unless the immmigration officer decides to play Taksin's lackey and is a hardass. Not likely.

If you think you will want to stay longer, go to Penang, Singapore, or any city with a Thai embassy or consulate and get a 90 day non-immigrant visa. Better yet get one before you go. Not all that expensive and far easier than getting one with a 30 day tourist visa already stamped in your passport.

If you get a non-immigrant, get multiple re-entries if you're thinking about side trips outside LOS.

Most of all, have fun.

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: Brink15 ]

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: Brink15 ]

Most of the guys choose the 60 day double-entry tourist visa that you get usually in Phnom Penh or Penang. With the two 30 day extensions allowed, this will allow you to stay in LOS for six months with one one day trip to the border, then you have to do it all over again. In Phnom Penh, a 60 day double-entry visa is $30 and the 30 day extensions in Thailand are 500 baht each.

Brink

I found your reply interesting perhaps ypou can expand.

Yo mention obtaining a 90 day non -immigrant visa from Singapore or wherever.

I have a 1 year multiple entry non- immigrant visa permitting stays of up to 90 days. This was not available to me in singapore and I therefore had to renew the visa in New York.

However I am sure that the documentation I received from Singapore required letters of referral from company in Thailand plus my own company in the US.

Are you saying that it is easy to obtain a 90 non-immiggrant visa as a tourist without supporting documentation?

Hey Lucky,

I'm not sure how this double double stuff works...you can get a visa for up to 6 months at one time?

Thanks to all who wrote...this visa nonsense is a little complicated to say the least.

Yes, you can stay in LOS six months on a 60 day double-entry visa like you get at Phnom Penh. After your first 60 days are up, you go to immigration and get a 30 day extension for 500 baht. After this is up, you have to either take one of the day trips to the border or send your passport with one of the many visa agencies. This gives you another 60 days, at the end of this time you go and get another 30 day extension for 500 baht. After your second extension is over, you have to go to another city with a Thai embassy or consulate, I go to Phnom Penh, and do it all over again. I've only been living here for eleven months now so I still enjoy the visa runs but I'm sure that they will get old as time goes on.

Archived