Thai nationals going to Laos (vientaine)

Anyone brought their girl into Loas for a few days? Did they need visa AND passport to visit Vientaine. I'm thinking of heading overland (friendship bridge) to Loas. I've heard they stopped passing out visa's (loas) at border. IS this correct? anyone been thru there lately? Anyone know if, I can I get an Non - Immigrant visa type O (90 day) from the thai consule in Ventaine?

thanks for takeing the time

tinduck

I made that trip last wednesday with my Thai wife, all she needed was her ID Card 1X Passport Photo and the THB150 fee. All this was arranged at the travel shop on the left hand side just before you get to the bridge.

Not sure how long a Thai national can stay in PDR Lao for, or about obtaining a 90 day 'O' visa, as I am on a 12 Month Multi re-entry Class 'O' and just had to do a 90 day turnaround

Yes, you can get a non-immigrant 90 day visa in Vientiane. I got one last year (actually a two entry non-immigrant visa). If it is of importance, it is also much cheaper there than in other places. I think a non-immigrant visa could be had for 300 baht.(compare to about 45 Singapore $ in Singapore) Probably has to do with all the rather poor Laos people travelling to Thailand. One drawback, I remember going to the embassy on monday, only got my visa on wednesday. So you must be ready to spend some time sightseeing Vientiane.

And don't forget the best part of being in Laos - the fresh baguettes from the morning market, generously filled with meat pate.

But take Joe Cummings advice - if you get there too late all you'll get is a long one that's gone hard.

www.bangkokmouth.com

Tried to go to Laos with my TG a few months ago - she lives in Nakhon Phanom, only about 15 miles from the border. Imagine my surprise when they tell me that I'll need a visa in advance to cross at the river, and will have to go to Khon Kaen to get it - 4 hours away from the border smile.gif" border="0 Guess we'll fly in one of these days.....

I am planning a five day trip to Laos with Thai g/f.

Until reading these posts I was under the impression that a "visa on arrival" system was in place at Friendship Bridge. Is this correct?

Mekong, I assume from your post that the travel agent issued the visa immediately for a Thai national, effectively making it the "visa on arrival system" that I envisaged. Is this also applicable for a UK passport holder?

Best idea is to get a visa from BKK first. I got one from the the Laos embassy in 45 minutes and only got charged 1000 baht my gf was only charged 300 baht.

Bangkok Phil, you mean they're still big on the baguettes? It used to amaze me to see Lao workers sitting there eating French bread and drinking hot chocolate when the weather was hotter than blue blazes. I figured the commies would have tried to convince them it was not patriotic or something.

Go there once a month.

1) Friendship bridge did issue on-arrival visas to non-Thais until half a year ago. Since border tensions occurred (some Laotians stormed a border post a while ago) they suspended issuing on-arrival visas. However, Thais can still enter with ID Card, 1 photo and a few baht.

2) Non-Thais have to get a visa from a Laos consulate.

Archived