Thai nationals going to Laos (vientaine)

First time I went to Laos (about one year ago) I took a flight to Udon Thani and caught a mini-van to the Friendship bridge. The mini-van stops just before the bridge at a small collection of road-side shops. Here there is a place that prepares and sells Laos visas. I think I bargained them down to around 800baht. They even accompanied me to passport control at the bridge.

The second time I went (around 6 weeks ago) I heard things had changed. I flew straight to Vientiane with a visa obtained from the travel agent whom I'd bought my tickets from: 1000baht and 3 days wait, if I remember correctly.

If your girlfriend is from Laos, and is staying in Thailand illegally, then you will have to fly to Udon Thani. Your girlfriend will have to be smuggled accross the Mekong river in a small boat (the locals do this for around 200/300baht.) You can cross the bridge without problems - providing you have a visa - and meet her on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

To All,

Anyone know the address for the Lao Embassy in Bangkok? Any good recommendations for a hotel in Vientaine? Anyone have a good car and driver for hire in Laos? How long is the visa good for? Anyone been to Pakse? I've heard that using the river boats isn't recommended for travel further north as there has been problems with automatic rifle fire from the river banks. Anyone use them for extended travel? Any problems? Anyone been to Luang Prabang? Info on bus or other conveyance to get up there? Hotel suggestions for Luang Prabang? Thanks in advance for any info guys. I'll be going to Laos in July for a few days.

Cent

Cent

Embassy address

Embassy of PDR of Lao

520/1-3 Soi 39, Thanon Ramkhamhaeng.

Good value Guesthouse / Hotel, very clean, good a/c, central location, no catering but near to restaurants and great baguettes and coffee just over the road.

Phonepaseuth Guest House. Approx, 700 THB a night.

Don't know about a car and driver, I normally hire a bike.

The visa length is variable last time I went my GF and I got 60 days. Two others with identical visas from BKK only got 30 days. (Different immigration booths?)

I have canoed on the Mekong but not very far North. No problems encountered.

LP journey was in the rainy season, took 13 hours in a truck...... bus may be better if the roads are dry. I flew back from LP.

Can't remember the name of the LP guesthouse. Quite a few to choose from.

Some hints about money, take Baht and some Dollars. You can ask for change in Kip from some Baht purchases. It's bulky to carry so just use it for drinks, snacks etc. Dollars for fares and hotels. For meals use Baht.

Have a good time and be sure to give us one of your insightful reports when you get back.

Archived