Non-immigrant visa & drivers licenses

Here is a tricky one for all you old hands out there. I will be in Thailand in the summer and I want to get a Thai license. At the moment I do not have a valid license of any kind. I would prefer just to pay cash under the table but haven't found anyone who can help me with that yet. The thing is you need to have a class B or O non-immigrant visa to get a Thai license. Since I don't have a letter from a company to get a class B and since my wife is not residing in Thailand I can't get a class O. Does anyone know how easily the Thai authorities give out non-resident visas and if there may be another way of obtaining a Thai license? I would appreciate any information.

Tried that too. I have the right visa but they told me that they are only able to issue a Thai drivers license in exchange for proof of having a foreign drivers license. Applying for an exam was no option for a foreigner, so have I been told.

You can use an International Driving license in Thailand (apply for it before you leave, in your home country). It lasts a couple of months or so.

However, you have to have a valid license in your own country to apply for one so don't know if this is much help.

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

quote:

Originally posted by V. Calvino:

I will be in Thailand in the summer and I want to get a Thai license. At the moment I do not have a valid license of any kind.

Don't know where you are, but if you are in the States, go get a license [if you can, unless other considerations are precluding your getting one] from your state, and $10.00 to AAA for the International Drivers License. If U R in Virginia, for example, any IDIOT can get one. I have one. wink.gif" border="0 See? laugh.gif" border="0

yes, if you live in US. You can go to any AAA office and get a International Driving Permit.10 bucks plus two passport size photo. The permit valid for one year from the date you leave US.

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will try to get the class O visa because my wife is Thai. The reason I don't have a license is because I have been moving around the 10 years or so and presently all are expired. In Ontario you can only renew your licence once by mail and I did that a few years back so right now I don't have anything. I know a lot of Thai people just pay under the table for a license and that's what I am working on now. I don't care about having a drivers license in Thailand because it is easy enough to slip the cops one or two hundred baht to forget about you not having one (I've done it more than once). The thing is I will be returning to Canada at Christmas and will be screwed without a license. If I have a Thai license and a IDP I will be able to drive in Canada and Japan where I presently live.

Don't know about driving in Canada. I got ticked off when I went back to the States and had to take the driving test all over. Seems the state would NOT recognise my Thai licence or an international licence. I felt a bit stupid taking the driving test with a lot of teenagers waiting to do the same. (The examiner was another VN vet, so we just swapped war stories as we went for a ride.)

If you want to go under the table, go out to the transport department at Mo Chit station and hang around on the ground floor of the registration building for five minutes. Look at your watch a few times and someone will try to catch your attention and ask you (in Thai) whether you're in a hurry and would like a special processing of your application.

I did my own licence application for a car and was interested to get something for my motorbike (I don't have an O/S motorcycle licence). They said I'd be able to get the licence without a test if I'd be prepared to pay the 10,000 baht fee.

Good luck.

Archived