Investing in Thailand

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like always: They are cheap for a reason.

But, if you really like to invest in relative small thai stocks, try 'Thailand Fund' from Fidelity. In general they don't invest in the blue chips.

mischa.

@ Mischa

Wrong.

The biggest holdings of Fidelity Thailand Fund are AIS, Shin, the biggest banks (KTB, Bangkok Bank, TFB), PTT and Siam Makro - all blue chips. And these blue chips are in crisis (and have a miserable performance).

Foreign funds like Fidelity are too big to invest in Thai small-caps. They need liquidity.

And Thais are still burnt from the stockmarket collapse, they don't feel like investing in stocks.

That's why they are cheap.

not only are many small thai stocks very cheap they also offer very high yields 10%+ is not uncommon!as always you need to be careful but it is possible to make a great deal of money.

Db,

Be careful! Taksin's administration may conclude that we have all reason to harm the economy and start a chase! Like you suggested in another treat, it's wise to look over your shoulder regularly when going to woodstock on a friday night. Start's to taste like an X-files conspiracy!

@ db

yes, our sanuking depends on Thailands poverty.

I don't even want to think about the prices the girls will charge us when the economy is booming again.

I've seen the prices in HK going through the roof.

Buying Thai stocks is hedging against the risk of becoming too poor to pay the girls.

In a boom the girls' prices will go up, but the stocks will go up, too.

Originally posted by iuytrede:

"I don't even want to think about the prices the girls will charge us when the economy is booming again."

Iuytrede,

don't worry, the boom won't happen. Thailand's incredibly corrupt political system prevents progress of almost any kind. I don't know how old you are, but I don't think that in your lifetime you'll have to worry that the country's sanuk scene will ever get too expensive for you.

A tragedy for some is a boon to others. C'est la vie. Mai pen rai.

Cheers, SB cool.gif" border="0

I arrived here in early June, 1994. I am most assuredly not a businessman, venture capitalist, etc.

In September, 1994, a friend of mine who was an investor -- he's dead now -- came through BKK on an investment trip. Over lunch, he asked me (on his first trip here) what I would do were he to write me a check for US$ 10,000,000 to invest for him, a sum that would seriously damage him, were he to lose it, but not impoverish him.

I looked across the table a while, then said, "I would tear the check up and give it back to you in tiny pieces." My friend was shocked, and asked me why I would do that. My answer was fairly simple:

"A farang cannot win. And you're farang."

Happily, he took his investment to the much more stable and honest Malaysia, where he made money, as did his local partners -- in other words, it was a win-win situation, and everyone was happy. But in Thailand, the only way the local investor is happy is if he manages to screw the foreigner.

Just like our "friends" in China.

Mekhong Kurt

@ Mekhong Kurt

you may have a point if you talk about FDI.

Portfolio investment was the other way round: Malaysia imposed capital controls so you could not get out your money, Thailand did not. And the foreigners screwed Thailand badly (not that the Thais weren't very helpful).

Just one example: do you think in your country it would be ok if the biggest banks would be taken over by foreigners or had foreigners holding 49% of the shares?

China is in a much stronger position than Thailand, so it's not so easy to screw them.

Archived