Work permit now Baht 10,000

The real Catch 22 is that after working in Thailand for, say, 20 years or so ... you cannot afford to live in the west. Thus you're sort of forced to retire in Thailand, which is really a bummer. (Yeah, right!)

p.s. My university has requested pay increases several times, but the politicians have to approve it and never do. The last pay rise was around 8 years ago, and there's been a lot of inflation since then. But the Thai teachers get treated like crap too. New lecturers begin at government universities at around 9,000 baht a month! Many of them have families to help support them, but others do not and actually have to struggle to live on that amount. (Remember that all you folks whose bar girl friends insist they can't possibly get by on less than 20,000 a month.)

VC, if you have a US certification and don't mind teaching expat brats, look into the international schools. Some biggies like ISB pay as much as 90,000 a year plus round trip plane fare. It's not like teaching Thais though. The IS kids are better behaved than in the west, but still will try your patience at times.

I saw an piece last week that said that the Malaysian Goverment is actively reqruiting English teachers from abroad because the are concerned with the falling English standard. As usual the poor old Thai's get left behind as the other Asian Nations recognise what is required to equip kids. But as long as all the legislators and their lackeys are doing OK with their dirty little fingers in the jam pot, Who Cares?

Oh ... thanks Pete. Whoever expected anything so logical??? (I've ignored all these UBB icons and smileys. They remind me of an old computer game 1980s style.)

p.s. FB, the Malaysian government is worried about the English of ethnic Malays only ... the so-called bumiputras. If you're a Malaysian of Chinese or Indian ancestory, you can go to hell for all the gummint cares. It's sort of the reverse of "affirmative action" in the US. The majority gets "protected" by special rights over the minority. A friend did teach in KL for several years -- in a programme that was barred to non-bumiputras. I think the money was about double what you'd probably make in Bangkok, though KL is nowhere near as much fun to live in. This gummint descrimination does help to drive a lot of capable Chinese Malaysians to the US and Oz though, so it does somebody good. (It just screws their country of origin.)

Archived