Etiquette Versus "Cut and run"

MrX

The worst was yet to come but we were granted a few days respite.

?Respite? first meaning; ?Alien versus Predator at ?Major?, Ekkamai, and even if she inevitably bumped into a louche regular during the interval, rendering the outing more; ?Etiquette versus ?Cut and Run?, it was seethingly lovely having her head snuggling my shoulder during the gories. So much that I could almost forget the intervening decades since the last time (with just another lovely, perhaps in a Home Counties cinema) not long before the Beatles had sadly cut ?Let it be?

Then I understood from our next meeting that my robbery-induced inability to pay The Bar lady-buy-out fee was seriously troubling and agreed to sort it, without really knowing how.

Actually, as it turned out, I was able to stress and bend the usually recalcitrant Fullerene of the world quite easily and so, Tuesday, early evening, found me hurrying through the rain from Bangkok?s almost continuously refurbished main train station to The Bar, cash awash.

When I was already there she rang and said: ?I no come tonight ok, you pay mamasan Ok?? I felt myself, becoming nasty gnomic rasping. She pleaded the rain, and that I was, self admittedly, available for only a few hours before taking the train to Nong Khai still I couldn?t find anything in me beyond an ugly litany of exploitation. True, it was bucketing down. True too, that over more than one year there had never been slightest cause to doubt her sincerity. And also achingly, she was already cast on the cumulus of my largesse, but for me ?enough? might never amount to enough to trust, I fear.

?Don?t worry? I tried to conclude, disingenuously. ?See you Saturday, I pay then, no problem.? Lying, and of course she knew, we laboured over several quick fire calls and then somehow she was coming by motor cycle taxi from Sa's apartment on Suk 71 through the traffic ridden monsoon evening.

Already on my second beer when she arrived, rain slashed, over-intentional and slightly flustered, she shot me a withering look.

?I want you pay now?

I, bloody minded still, not understanding her immediate bind played for time. Just then a Mamasan wafted past and I felt IP ?non grata? at last and hurried to the wash room to count out ten ones in relative privacy.

She disappeared somewhere and returned, accompanied by the same Mamasan now wreathed in crocodile smiles.

?Take care her, when you finish can bring back, no problem.?

I scratched my head in disbelief.

We drank up and hurried to Asok place a devil still in me. That night she made love wistfully, beyond the sensibility of her years. Then we floated into the street to ritually eat post-coitally at a noodle stall, one new hunger substituting the other. We settled near the new subway.

?Where you go after??

?I want we go The Bar?

?I no go?

?OK I go alone, you go home? Ugly figuring I had bought her already, many times over, for that night and wanting to, she could go fuck herself.

?OK, You go Bar, I go customer.? Darkness darkening her face, getting up awkwardly, immediately followed by a sharp warning noise from the clattering stool.

As she walked very slowly toward the Sukumvit intersection, willing me to follow her, I could only watch, curiously unable to move.

Soon as i have time i will bring out the dictionary to look up "louche" and "Fullerine". My ignorance of the latter probably shows my lack of literariness.

I see a message in the story but whatever message I take would only mean i'm missing other meanings. And I'm certain Romp is not trying to convey a message here anyway.

R is using the IP line of stories to access a rare vein that could not be tapped thru any other medium. That may sound funny and its just my take on it of course.

Quick definitions (louche)

adjective: of questionable taste or morality (Example: "A louche nightclub")

Quick definitions (Fullerene)

noun: a form of carbon having a large molecule consisting of an empty cage of sixty or more carbon atoms

AND

fullerene

/foollreen/

? noun Chemistry a form of carbon having a molecule consisting of a large spheroidal cage of atoms.

? ORIGIN contraction of buckminsterfullerene (the first known example, named after the American architect Richard Buckminster Fuller, 1895-1983).

Archived