THe hammer has fallen on nightlife

BKK_DJ

Anyone just see the 6 o' clock news...Prachit has just announced that the midnight closings and proposed zoning of nightlife in Thailand will go into effect immediately...

(SEPT 17th)

THIS MEANS AS OF MIDNIGHT TONIGHT ALL CLUBS OUTSIDE OF ZONES MUST CLOSE!!! This decision has been passed and approved by the government.

you know the zones... Patpong, RCA, Rachada...

go out tonight and see for yourselves...EVERYTHING will be shut at Midnight....

every club owner in Bangkok is on the phone with thier lawyers....

apparently they let the protests and the drama die down for the elections and post dated the laws to go into effect today...

The party is over folks... :onfire:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came back home, but haven't heard about this nonsense. In SC and Nana there were no signs of early closing, but also no showing. It's hard to believe as neither today's the Nation nor the Bangkokpost mention it with any word ... also found nothing on their webpages.

But as I live in Nana, so I can check it for you.

These things usually get announced, then there's panic, then actual implementation gets dragged out while behind-the-scenes deals are being made. We'll se if it gets enforced.

Even if it does, maybe it will result in a lot of the whiny farangs taking off for parts unknown. Luckily, the street whores on Sukhumvit keep odd hours.

Nana closed shortly after 1am, Nana Disco at 2am sharp, the food stalls on Sukhumvit are still open. Thus midnight closing definitely did not happen tonight.

However, I talked to some Thai guy I know for years and who normally is pretty well informed (the fat guy selling the burger in front of Nana plaza) and he actually confirmed that within 5 or 6 days Nana plaza will close midnight. He didn't know about other places like Q-Bar or Nana Disco though. So it?s waiting and seeing what will happen... :dunno:

One more thought about the ongoing 'street party' on sukhumvit. I haven't been there for months and was amazed about the recent number of stalls. Half a year ago there where just a few between Soi 5 and Soi 7 and at the corner to soi 13. Now they are all over lower sukhumvit from Soi 5 to Soi 15. Considering that now it is really low season and that Sukhumvit is really crowded after 1am I don?t dare to imagine how packed it will be during high season or even X-mas and New Year. Wouldn?t surprise me at all if in the not so far future the coppers will come with busses like they did at Q-bar a couple of weeks ago. I can?t believe that they will tolerate this obvious eyesore for long especially if it is further expanding with more and more tourists arriving over the next few months.

Per the Nationmultimedia.com website on 18 Sep. The most interesting info are the opening times and limited hours of operations. If enforced, NEP and Soi Cowboy could open only from 9pm to midnight, which may be the death knell of many bars.

>>Zoning directive spells end of late-night drinking

Published on Sep 18, 2004

Deputy Interior Minister Pracha Maleenont yesterday vowed to strictly enforce closing times of night entertainment venues now that the new entertainment zoning law has taken effect.

The Interior Ministry directive designating zones for entertainment venues in Bangkok and the rest of the country took effect on Thursday.

The directive also prescribes the closing times of entertainment places in and outside the zones.

Pracha said the directive designated zones for entertainment places in Bangkok and 49 other provinces, while banning the opening of new entertainment venues in the 26 remaining provinces.

The three designated zones in Bangkok are Silom (including Patpong), Ratchadapisek (including Royal City Avenue) and New Phetchaburi roads.

New entertainment venues will be allowed to open only in designated zones.

Pracha warned that the authorities would check on venues more frequently to ensure that they comply with the closing times now that the directive had taken effect.

Sujarit Pajchimnan, director-general of the Local Administration Department, said the directive defined entertainment venues into five categories, as follows:

Nightclubs and bars inside the zones are allowed to open from 9pm to 2am, while those outside can stay open from 9pm to midnight.

Lounges and teahouses both inside and outside the zones are allowed to open for two periods, from 11am to 2pm and from 6pm to midnight.

Modern massage parlours in the zones are allowed to open from 12 noon to midnight, while those outside the zones can open from 6pm to midnight.

Pubs, discotheques, cafes, restaurants with live bands and cabarets in the zones are allowed to open from 6pm to 1am, while those outside the zones can open from 6pm to midnight.

Restaurants with live music both inside and outside the zones are allowed to open from 6pm to 1am.

A ministry source said it might designate restaurants that offer recorded music as a new category of entertainment venue, but officials are still considering appropriate opening and closing times for them.

<<

I totally agree that Suk will be totally out of control with midnight closings. Think about the visibility and bad PR when the plod show up in force and start clearing the street, especially when the sanukers and girls are mixed in with the tourists. It just sounds like a recipe for some very nasty press.

...and to think only a few dozen posts ago there were members who maintained there was a clever plan to curb nightlife by stealth....the whole policy thing is shambolic!

..still, will be interesting to see the Thai erotic/entrepreneurial

spirit overcome this one!

.. that old chinese curse...

Archived