THe hammer has fallen on nightlife

BKK_DJ

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>Restaurants with live music both inside and outside the zones are allowed to open from 6pm to 1am.<<

SC and NEP bars better move quick and start building out those kitchens. Top cat has a grill that I've seen him set up, would this be enough? :D ::

Expect explosive growth in the garage band industry.

Hardy is correct with his comments.

I had a rare night out last night, and the lights came on and our bill cup was swept away in Carousel Bar (NEP) at 12:45 am. Several owners I spoke to in NEP are expecting midnight closing to be enforced soon, if not tonight.

The bottleneck exiting NEP was worse than the Asoke BTS station during rush hour with the obligatory katoeys there to frisk you on the way out.

As stated, the stroll down Suk towards Thermae was like a walk in Safari World. Hundreds of ladies on the steps and many more sitting at tables and walking about. Some just smile and give you that look, others are more aggressive and grab an appendage as you pass.

For keith doug, we arrived at termaie 5 minutes before closing (1:10am) and when the lights came on the few remaining scattered. Outside Thermae there were plenty of ladies.

One last comment: On my walk home (Thermae to Suk29) I saw at least a half dozen cute girls seated on the stairs/walls. But, also, once I crossed Asoke, I was surprised to hit a gauntlent of katoeys spread out over several blocks. Very aggressive - two followed me for about 100m before giving up.

Sarisin,

It's a freak show out on Sukhumvit. A few weeks ago I was sitting with a friend near soi 11. I little boy, maybe 7, walks up and asks to see my zippo lighter (he speaks good english BTW). I insist on holding it and show it to him. He asks me how much for the lighter. I tell him 2 thousand. He says "go fuck yourself". It felt like a scene from Full Metal Jacket.

I think the Thais are really doing well maintaining social order. ::

One thing that amazes me is how everyone feels they have to WALK ON THE SIDEWALK TO GET SOMEWHERE, through that densely packed zoo of tables, at maybe 0.001 miles per hour, when in fact you can easily walk in the street where its empty except for cars, buses (but PLENTY of room for them too). Contrast that with the Patpong/Sala Daeng area, where most people (especially the Thai's, who are smart enough) walk in the street to avoid the zoo.

I remember back in the '70s (yes, 70s), there was a midnight "curfew" in Bangkok, and there still seemed to be plenty of P4P activity around. I suppose the contrast with the nearly 24/7 partying during the late '90s makes it a little difficult to tolererate. I suspect things will loosen up again. My 2 satangs worth!

BKK22

Closing hours call

Bangkokpost September 18th

NIGHTSPOT ZONING:Operators of entertainment venues and nightspots have been asked to observe closing time rules after a ministerial regulation on opening and closing hours was announced in the Royal Gazette on Sept 16.

Under the regulation, nightclubs in designated zones are allowed to open at 9 pm and stay open until 2 am. Nightclubs outside the zones are allowed to open at 9 pm and close at midnight. Massage parlours inside the zones are allowed to open at 12 am and close at midnight while those outside the zone are allowed to operate between 6 pm to midnight.

Karaoke bars and discotheques can open from 6 pm and close at 1 am for those in the zones and at midnight for those outside the zones. Entertainment venues which sell food and liquor with music shows are allowed to open at 6 pm and close at 1 am for all those inside and outside the zones.

what's the difference between a restaurant with music (open 'till 1 AM) and a cafe which is also food with music but which have to close at 12? Also, what are lounges and teahouses? lounges might mean karaokes but teahouse, is this something more seen in chinatown? -peter

Maybe the authorities believe that the vast majority of tourists come to Thailand to shop, have a couple of beers between 9pm and 2am, and then go to bed ::

I'm already booked and have reservations for Angeles next month, I like their hours of business, 11am-5am. I then have six hours to recharge, then get back to the bars and go-gos, hey, its a tough job, but somebodys gotta do it :D

I wonder if these new hours will be applied to Pattaya. Bangkok is one thing, but Pattaya I suspect would be in bad shape with these kind of hours.

Archived