Ex GF and ethical dilemma

if the other bloke gets/got infected, it is his responsibility alone.

------------------------

Funny you say that, when some 3 months ago, I said exactly the same thing about the visa run question, concerning people whom I felt, must be responsible in assessing if they can afford to stay legally in Thailand beforehand. you called me on my insensitivity, though I was not talking of a particular case and i had actually helped a farang/thai family, very unsensitively ::.

What happens here is the same. A situation has changed which becomes life-threatening, so where is your own sensitivity to people's foreseen suffering?

What if the bloke has a wife back home, kids, why cry over families of retired farangs in dire straits and not families of HIV+ ones?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flyonzewall said:

>>>If it came to having to tell, it would be about having the balls to do the 'right' thing, as the consequenses for the one telling would most likely be negative. Meassure that negative consequense against the conseqiense for the man though and the choice should be an easy call. <<<

those sort decisions are NEVER an easy call.

and i am not god, so i do not have the right in such a case to "measure the consequences" and that way severely interfere with other people's lives.

That is a cop out. I guess if you saw the bloke take out a bat and began to beat the women to death in the middle of the street it would be none of your business too, since you don't want to "measure the consequences" or "interfere"?

The poster does not have to have a sit down with the 2 people but he can easily write a letter and hand it to the guy to at least inform him.

The very fact that he is mulling or even contemplates this as a moral dillema demonstrates that he has views on both sides and understands that there is a "right thing" to do or has some sense of responsibility in the matter.

Off course you could try to fight the symptoms. Ultimately, everybody is responsible for themselves.

----------------------------

Too many words, too much philosophy. Can't care less about guilt: I am just talking about possibly saving one life, today! that's all.

If I know something that may hurt or victimize you, i will tell you, not think it's your life. After all, it's still your life after i tell you and you can ignore my helping.

Not to Soongmaak, but so many of you go on and on about the doomed and stupid idea to go into RS with a P4P, and when this case comes up, it's all "No! No! you're going to destroy that RS!!!!".......

Whatever!!! ::

Guest lazyphil

Its a tough call, but I repeat, 1 in 60 adult Thai has HIV, he should assume she has it till proven (by tests) she is clear. It shouldn't be down to someone doing the right thing, I'm not being heartless.

1 in 60 adult Thai has HIV, he should assume she has it till proven (by tests) she is clear.

----------------------------

people are talking in general, here. Good for an aids topic in HEALTH or a "would you tell" POLL in GD, but for crissakes, we are talking about one guy here, and maybe his family (surely his extended family, LP, U know what i mean).

Would not be the first farang having a P4P GF in LOS and a family life back home. Anyway, him suffices. You guys think about someone you know, would you withold the truth because "he should know"?

We may not have much religion here, but i believe in grave cases, yes, i am my brother's keeper, my fellowman's keeper.

Better quit this thread, I am repeating myself! Hope Z makes the right decision.

>>>The very fact that he is mulling or even contemplates this as a moral dillema demonstrates that he has views on both sides and understands that there is a "right thing" to do or has some sense of responsibility in the matter. <<<

i wish you would read my posts properly.

i hate quoting myself, but i have already posted that this is a moral dilema and never an easy decision. and that after all considerations i believe not telling is the right decision.

>>>That is a cop out. I guess if you saw the bloke take out a bat and began to beat the women to death in the middle of the street it would be none of your business too, since you don't want to "measure the consequences" or "interfere"?<<<

you extrapolate.

again, in one of my posts i have mentioned "in this case".

now, regarding the question of the bloke beating a women to death: one has to have been in such a situation to be able to say what one would do. i was in a similar situation when i was 15, when a gang of 20 or 30 skinheads attacked us (three guys and two girls). after all the usual crap like being slapped around one skin known for being a bruatal maniac (but unfortunately huge as well) started ripping off the clothes of one of the girls to rape her (he was known to have done that on several occasions). most of us were completely frozen, and i don't know what drove me to push him off the girl, which somehow resulted in them focussing their attention away from the girl (fortunately), and me being stomped into the ground (interesting experience seeing iron clad doc martins from below ;) ). i guess they then had enough and left (and it has certain advantages when you are seen by some 19 year old bird as a hero :hubba: ).

basically, i have no idea whatsoever what i would do if i ever would get into a similar situation again, if i would freeze, or do the same. fear does interesting things to you, things you cannot steer consciously. and knowing what went through my mind during that episode i would never accuse anyone who freezes in such a situation of cowardice or whatever.

what i try to say here is - it is easy to mouth off on some internet board about "the right thing" and "balls" and such, but be in such a situation - there are very different though processes. having many friends and family with AIDS the question of the moral dillema of telling or not is rather familiar for me.

>>>Funny you say that, when some 3 months ago, I said exactly the same thing about the visa run question, concerning people whom I felt, must be responsible in assessing if they can afford to stay legally in Thailand beforehand. <<<

i believe that is two different things alltogether. the question here is the moral dilemma of of one individual directly interfering into others personal life, while the visa question was about governmental interference into people's personal life and resulting personal catastrophies.

it was only secondary if one should be responsible for his financial abilities to stay here (which one of course should, and in that paricular case of changing visa rules we debated, also was in fact, and only a burocratic idiocy made it impossible).

but please, lets say with the topic of individual moral dilema in this particular case. wouldn't we otherwise digress a bit too much, my moderator friend ;)

Archived