(UTI) Lower urinary tract infection

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a strange thread...like Suadum said I am astonished by your complaints about costs...how is a private hospital to pay its staff etc if the patient doesnt chip in....

Old hippie..you gaffed big time when you said VIRUS might be antibiotic resistent.... something like expecting a tiger to eat grass!..( Suadum you dont eat grass do you?)

As for original poster problem....seems to me the whole thing is going ok...you are getting better, if a little slowly, but there are variable time lines in therapy/ pathology...take it easy!

"...Old hippie..you gaffed big time when you said VIRUS might be antibiotic resistent.... something like expecting a tiger to eat grass!..."

"...>Virus/sts might be cipro resistant

Oh for god's sake.

You clear have *no* clue as to what you are talking about, and I really strongly advice you to leave the medical stuff alone.

-j- ..."

Pardon me! Perhapes I used the wrong word? (virus?) Was under the impression certain "ailments" could become resistant to antibiotics. WOuld appreciate a POLITE education if not true...

>WOuld appreciate a POLITE education if not true

Sigh.

Infectious disease fall largely into two categories, bacterial and viral. Bacteria and virus are *very* different things. Antibiotics work *only* against bacterial diseases, and *not* (at all) against viral diseases. Anti-virals (of which there are not that many) work against viral diseases.

Bacteria *can* become resistant to antibiotics, and viruses *can* become resistent to anti-virals, most commonly (but not solely) particularly in the presence of mis-use (in all senses) of either.

Doctors *sometimes* prescribe antibiotics in cases of infection with a viral disease, but this is solely aimed at secondary (bacterial) infections, NOT the primary viral disease.

So, again, I would strongly advice you to stick to the first half of your post (to paraphrase :Go see a doc), and leave the rest of it alone.

politely, josh

OH to add: the whole infections resistent to medicines thing is a big bogeyman for the media which does however exist...just that it is not really the business of the individual prescriber,( beyond keeping up to date about what is happening to infectious diseases in his/her neck of the woods), more of public health issue really...If an antibiotic doesnt work then it is also probable/possible the diagnosis is wrong, the resistent bacteria comes a bit down the list of causes of therapy failure....

On a personal note, bacterial antibiotic resistance is probably the most scary thing out there at the moment (makes HIV/AIDS small beans). IIRC, the discovery and use of antibiotics added more to average life expectancy than all of the previous medical discoveries combined (it added something like 20 years to *average* life expectancy). I mean an infected *tooth* used to be fatal....can you imagine life without antibiotics now? They are (again, IIRC) onto so called "third generation" antibiotics, with no fourth stage in sight - and there are already resistant strains......

-j-

Typically doctors do not charge if they have not prescribed anything. The two previous visits have cost me over 2000B. 1000B was on medicine which cost 100B outside. I was not aware at the time that doctors also get a cut from the medicine fee. Maybe these doctors could have mentioned that and left the decision to me...yes, i try to make hospital visits as cheap as possible because many of these doctors look at u as a $ sign, not as someone who they r interested to help. A few minutes consultation and 'advice' should not have cost anything IMO. They r always eager to prescribe medicine, necessary or NOT.

It is my right to question a bill, especially when i have never before been charged for 'advice' at that hospital. Or any other. All i did was ask what the fees were for. I wasn't pissed because of 400B, fuck that, it was the same feeling as being ripped off by a taxi, food vender etc. Prejudice tindged as i doubt that fee would have been given to a Thai. He wanted to stick me for a prescription fee when no prescription was given. So i say fuck him, the asshole.

>>Typically doctors do not charge if they have not prescribed anything. ... A few minutes consultation and 'advice' should not have cost anything IMO. ... i have never before been charged for 'advice' at that hospital. Or any other.

OK, it's fine for you if you know how to play the system and get lots of freebies. But don't think it's your right to get freebies. It's not. Private Hospitals in Thailand are for profit, and their doctors work there to earn money.

BTW where I come from, a few minutes consultation and advice cost about 2000 B (even if the patient doesn't like the advice).

>>The two previous visits have cost me over 2000B.

About normal for the top private hospitals in Bkk.

>>1000B was on medicine which cost 100B outside.

I doubt that very much. They probably prescribed a drug that outside would have cost something like 800 B, but one could have bought the generic version for 100 B. Not nice, but unfortunately common practice all over the world and very much supported by the big Western drug-producing countries.

Archived