Anybody ever bring a desktop PC to LOS?

Khun_Kong

That's the big question. Want to know if I'd have a hassle with Customs (Thai) or some unforeseen problem if I bring my dasktop PC and 21" monitor over from the US. Fees, etc. Any experience or hear of any?

Power no problem.

Mods- feel free to put this thread where it belongs. Not really tech, not really legal, not really travel...

KK,

Don't worry about it. Duty is 0% anyways for PC sets, so only if you hit a customs officer on a bad day would he try to get you to pay the VAT 7%. Maybe if you want to play it really safe, make up your own little proforma invoice and put a cheap value for a "used personal computer set" so you could show the value is very little, and 7% of nothing is still close to nothing. But I would only do that if you were somewhat paranoid to begin with.

Cheers!

I have taken apart the confuser, discarded the case, put the cards & drives in small boxes after first being placed in non-static plastic envelopes and packed it into my luggage. Now if the 21" monitor is a CRT style, this will not work, but LCDs travel well in the same luggage.

If you do have a CRT monitor, even though it is 21", I'd sell it and just buy a new one at Fortune or Panthip.

Cases run maybe B1K at the same places.

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

I have taken apart the confuser, discarded the case, put the cards & drives in small boxes after first being placed in non-static plastic envelopes and packed it into my luggage. Now if the 21" monitor is a CRT style, this will not work, but LCDs travel well in the same luggage.

If you do have a CRT monitor, even though it is 21", I'd sell it and just buy a new one at Fortune or Panthip.

Cases run maybe B1K at the same places.

Cheers,

SD

Yeah, I was thinking about breaking it down.

Monitor is nice. Hate to part with the >10K baht to get a smaller LCD. Me = "C" cubed (Cheap Computer Charlie).

Also wondering about TSA hassle- wires/drives = looks-like-a-bomb; "can you turn it on, son?" "Yes, but no monitor" "Maybe we need to take this for further examination", etc.

Guess I'm a bit paranoid after a friend missed a US flight because the battery was dead in his laptop and the powercord was in his checkin baggage, so he couldn't turn it on when asked.

Anyway, thanks to both you guys for the reassuring tips.

Yes, I usually do this once a year, by putting the pieces in my suitcase. Last year, I brought back a 19" LCD monitor, plus all components of a PC except for a case/power supply. The suitcase weight a ton and was a real bitch to close because I over packed it. I actually had components for more than one PC.

When I retrieved my suitcase in Bkk, it wasn't fully closed and it was obvious that someone had gone through it all. I assume that it was US security, as the flight originated out of New York.

In the past, I've brought back entire units. I usually open up the pc case and put socks and other clothes inside the case to save room.

I also bring back lots of electronics components with their assorted cables.

Never had a problem. Not even the hint of a problem.

No problem, I have done it several times. As for the monitor, see if you can bubble wrap it and put it in a plastic container (bin). As for the case, just slip it into your suitcase. As for customs, and TSA; I have had no problems.

I have always been curious to what the power conversion requirements would be? I know my Video camcorder is just fine conecting to the Thai voltage. Would the transformers in a PC be adequate? What about bringing a PC back from LOS? Would the transformers need to be changed ?

(transformer or whatever those blocks are called).

Transformers are not used anymore. They use a technology called switching power supplies. There is a sticker on the power supply that specifies the input voltage requirements. Computer power supplies are designed to handle 110-220V and 50-60Hz, which is compatible with worldwide home electric standards.

Most of the power supplies bought in the US are dual voltage. They have some type of switch in back that you have to set to either 120 or 240.

The dual voltage Power Spplies are a bit rare in Bangkok. You have to do a bit of searching. And about 1000 baht, I found. The single voltage ones are 250 baht or so.

Just look in back of the power supply and see if the switch is there. (In Bangkok, most of the power supplies have a hole where there is a place for a swicth, but it is missing. So you can only use 220/240.)

That said, if you are bringing a PC to BKK and it's not dual voltage, you can simply switch the power supply once you get here. A simple 5 minute job.

Archived