Anybody ever bring a desktop PC to LOS?

Khun_Kong

I'll be bringing my Mac g5 over in nov.

But since it's really big i will use the original case.

But i will plaster it with gaffa tape,and put fragile all over it.

I will also stuff it with socks and underwear,and try to fit in my phillips 19" tft screen...

I don't expect to have any problems,but did anybody try and bring a pc in a original case?

"Want to know if I'd have a hassle with Customs (Thai) or some unforeseen problem if I bring my dasktop PC and 21" monitor over from the US. Fees, etc. Any experience or hear of any?"

One consideration is that visitors entering Thailand at Don Muang airport are no longer required to submit customs forms, though, of course, they are subject to a Customs inspections at the officers' discretion.

Pom Michael said:

KK,

Don't worry about it. Duty is 0% anyways for PC sets, so only if you hit a customs officer on a bad day would he try to get you to pay the VAT 7%. Maybe if you want to play it really safe, make up your own little proforma invoice and put a cheap value for a "used personal computer set" so you could show the value is very little, and 7% of nothing is still close to nothing. But I would only do that if you were somewhat paranoid to begin with.

Cheers!

Where did you get that info from? My company exported a server and several set-top boxes from Germany this spring. Had to pay 30% import fee on the lot. Also when I first got here in 2001, I took my desktop apart and stuck it in my suitcase leaving the cabinet. I was stopped at customs and had to pay 6000B fee. If not they would confiscate everything and report me to police.

Be careful.

Personal computers are 0% duty and 7% VAT. Have been like that for 2 years or so.

Servers (if used for telecommunications) are 20% duty and 7% vat.

So, it seems like your company either imported them as computers or accessories for telecommunications purposes (20% duty/7% vat) or someone made a nickel off of your company. :dunno: ::

• 6 years later...

Only bumping this because it was weird to see my name in the time machine posts at the bottom of the page.

BTW- United smashed my 21" monitor on the trip- didn't know that until I got back to my apartment in BKK.

I checked the voltage switch on the back of the computer, plugged it in, turned it on ... and fried the power supply. Not wearing my glasses, I had set it to 120V! :confused: Replaced the power supply for about 300 THB.

The machine itself is still working and is sitting right next to me, faithfully and quietly downloading movies! With it's Pentium III 500 MHz processor and 500 Mb RAM, it has outlasted 2 laptops.

With the increase in large flat screen Plasma TV (with HDMI) I was half thinking of buying a mac mini (I already have wireless light alloy keyboard & track pad) ... it does not seem to be a bad option these days.

I don't work for Apple, but I hear the CEO position is in flux (what an expat job that would be)(let's hope Steve Jobs gets better soon) :beer:

Archived