Hospital Recomendation - Maternity Check-Ups

Straycat

In Eastern Bangkok? Let's say from Soi Thong Lo and up.

I'd like a *good* hospital but without the Bumrungrad hi-so patina. (I'm aware of that check-ups can be done at your local 'clinic' but I fear they don't have ultra-sound equipment etc).

Any recommendation very much appreciated! Thanks.

Re's

Stray

I know nothing about it, but Bangkok Hospital just up Sukhumvit near Eckami looks like a pretty decent facility. You can always go into a hospital and "interview" them, check out their facility and even have a brief chat with a Dr. in the department you would be using. It is on the Outbound side of Suk. close to the BTS.

David

Hi dave,

I think it's called Sukhumwit Hostpital - the one near Ekkamai station, that is.

I too would recommend Bangkok General Hospital. This is where GF went when she became pregnant last year. The actual delivery was 34,000 baht. It is a very good set up (with ultrasound scans) without the atmosphere you describe of Bumrungrad.

Khwai

SC, Just a warning, keep well away from Samitivej, the bastards scalped me for 120,000 Baht for the last delivery, ceaserean (SP?), but still it was a scalping.

They said it was expensive because I didn't enrol for their special "deal" which incidently was advertised in Thai language posters only.

Makes the Caesor we had done in Sakon Nakorn look cheapo at 3000 baht , 600 a day to stay in a private room, complete with a rooster outside the window! (Pre bird flu days)

Mind you the doctor doing all the maternity check ups was great, prescribed lots of the right suppliments etc. Training in Australia (We where at Muang Tong Tani before delivery up cpuntry)

DOG

Hey, thanks for the heads-up! I was contemplating Samitvej as I've driven past there many times....

In any case, we went to Bangkok General. It was a very pleasant experience. Quick service at a reasonable price (for a farang at least). Obviously a good hospital but where you don't have the feel like a schmuck because you didn't valet park your "S-klasse".

The doctor even gave me a disc with the ultra-sound images. ;)

With the first baby I would take Mum to Samitivej on my bike, and I would park it in car park (that was too small for any car so always free) anyway the usual uniformed pumped up Securutee man would wave NO NO, you have to park in the MC car park, of course this just what I wanted to hear, so would give it too them with both barrels. I pay the same money as a car, no car can use this park, so go fuck yerself.

Archived